Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing The Sun today - 9 July 2017 - nice spot group

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AR2665 ... largest spot group for some time
    Canon 6D, 800mm, f11, 125th, ISO100 ( the 800mm is a 100-400mm L lens with a x2 teleconverter)
    With my eyesight going downhill, I have really been struggling of late to be able to get sharp manual focus 1f641.png

IMG_0914sm.jpg

IMG_0914-2sm.jpg

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2
    Wow! If it's there tomorrow (I assume) I'll try to look at it myself. ...

4. Jul 9, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the largest spot in that group is about the size of Jupiter

5. Jul 9, 2017 #4
    Amazing! I also magnified your second image on my screen and it looks like a mole on a human skin! :nb)

6. Jul 9, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes it does

7. Jul 12, 2017 #6
    I got swamped these days and didn't get the chance to see it. But I'm still happy with your pictures. Any idea if it produced solar flares this time? (there was a high chance, I think)

As far as I know region 2665 is still active today wed July 12, 2017. I may still get a chance to see it. I think it's worth it!

Here is a 'live update' etc. ... :
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/sunspot-regions

8. Jul 12, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a M 1.2 a couple of days ago

9. Jul 12, 2017 #8
    Ok thanks!

10. Jul 12, 2017 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

3 straight days of 100% overcast skies here....

I empathize with the difficulty of manual focusing- but that may not be the problem here. Was your lens set to 400/11, meaning the final configuration was 800/22? That tiny f/# is sufficient to make diffraction noticeable. And, based on my experience in (now) swampy Cleveland, 1/125s exposure time can still allow seeing effects to occur if the atmosphere is especially active.

11. Jul 12, 2017 #10
  12. Jul 12, 2017 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

400 @f5.6 = 800 @ f11 :smile:

13. Jul 12, 2017 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note; there was a G1 Geo storm conditions last sunday/monday, but that was due to the coronal hole
    people far enough north ( nthrn hemisphere), or south in the southern hemisphere did image some aurora
    but it was difficult due to the full mood at that time

14. Jul 13, 2017 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Awesome pix! It's been a down year for sunspots.
    The trouble with sunspots is that they aren't sharply focused objects, which makes them hard to focus on.

15. Jul 13, 2017 #14
    It's even visible with naked eye, solar glasses of course ! Just got the chance to see it ...

16. Jul 13, 2017 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks Russ I appreciate your comments :smile: ... yes, the sun is heading deeper into solar minimum.

well ..... to an extent, yes ... tho I am seeing others do sharper images than me with just single exposure photos ( not stacked)
    so the 3 main variables are .....
    1) .... I'm seriously struggling focussing on the finer details ... be it photography, reading, my electronics at work
    2) .... the quality of my solar filter compared to what others are using ( my camera and lens is top end stuff)
    3) .... stable/unstable atmosphere

here's a random one pulled off a facebook astro forum ....

19990182_1289252017850610_4185664567419624235_n.jpg

Rex I. De SilvaSingle Frame Astrophotography

My image of sunspot AR2665 captured 11th July. Coolpix L27 point & shoot digital camera and vintage Asahi Pentax 40mm spyglass with AstroSolar filter. Edited with ACDSee 15.

really crisp

I could show ones worse than mine, but I wont :biggrin:
    mine isn't bad, I just feel that I could do a lot better

Dave

17. Jul 14, 2017 #16

1oldman2

Gold Member

18. Jul 14, 2017 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Naked eye"?
    Are you some kind of human-falcon hybrid?
    My camera could just barely make it out.

2017.07.14.sun.spot.fuji.camera.76x.zoom.png
    Just above the "1" in "16:23"
    36x optical zoom

It may be a speck of dust on the lens, but I don't care. I'm calling it a sunspot.

19. Jul 14, 2017 #18
    You're late! I think it's winding down now:
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/sunspot-regions

When I saw it it was still about the size of Jupiter (I caught it on the verge ...). So no need to have a falcon eye. It was expected (to be visible by "naked eye").

If I can still see it today (meaning tomorrow July 15) (with just the solar glasses) I'll probably change my profile name ... to "falcon" ...:biggrin:

20. Jul 15, 2017 #19
    Just did! Just a tiny tiny dot though, only because I knew where to look. [Still keeping my profile name though!]
    With binos and telescope it was still clear of course, but I'm not too much into cameras (other than cell phones) ...
    It will be setting towards the non-visible side soon anyway (couple of days, I assume), so anyone wanting to test their eye vision and/or their instruments must act fast (i.e. now) ...

21. Jul 15, 2017 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I tried it with binoculars(7x50) yesterday, and couldn't hold them steady enough.
    I may try it today with my new/old 3" reflecting telescope. But I haven't figured out how to capture images through it yet.
    And it's been reduced from an interesting "spot" and "trailing" stuff combination, from when @davenn first posted, to merely a single spot.
    Which is not really that interesting.
    As my sister posted regarding my image on Facebook yesterday; "I think it's an 'ant' on the lens"
    :oldgrumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted