The system shown in the figure below consists of a mass M = 4.3-kg

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
astr0
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
The system shown in the figure below consists of a mass M = 4.3-kg block resting on a frictionless horizontal ledge. This block is attached to a string that passes over a pulley, and the other end of the string is attached to a hanging m = 1.6-kg block. The pulley is a uniform disk of radius 8.0 cm and mass 0.60 kg.
10pokk6.gif

What is the acceleration of each block?
What are the two tensions in the string?

I know that I can find the moment of inertia with I = 0.5*M*R^2
Therefore, I = 0.00192

But, I don't understand how to find the acceleration of the blocks. I know that the acceleration of each block will be the same, but I do not understand how I can find it with the given information.
 
Attachments
  • 10pokk6.gif
    10pokk6.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org


astr0 said:
But, I don't understand how to find the acceleration of the blocks. I know that the acceleration of each block will be the same, but I do not understand how I can find it with the given information.
Start by analyzing the forces acting on each mass and on the pulley. Apply Newton's 2nd law to each, giving you three equations. Solve those equations to find the tensions and the acceleration.