The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected

• News
  • Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, the Turkish government is building automatic shooting gun towers at the Syrian border. These towers can shoot at any targets that are detected and can engage and destroy targets automatically. This is a very alarming development and is something that I never expected to see in my lifetime. There is no chance of blocking this technology globally, and it is the combination of automation and killing that is so alarming.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
http://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/tu...-shooting-gun-towers-at-syrian-border-2473487

That news is horrifying. I hope it's not true.

I never doubted that killing machines would arrive some day. Think of the Terminator movies. But I expected that it would not be in my lifetime. I was wrong. If that news article is true, they go into operation soon.

How long after this until the USA provides solar-powered autonomous drones with a photo database of the faces of all people on the POTUS kill list and sets them loose on the world?

Liberals promised that we would hold global debates over the ethics of such things before they were actually deployed. Wrong again.

Since the technology needed to do it is so commonplace, 200+ countries in the world can unilaterally decide to do it. Criminal sponsored terminators won't be far behind.

Is there any chance of blocking these things globally?

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
How is this fundamentally different from

Turkey's guns target civilians. Innocent civilians in the opinion of many.

Tomahawk targets are programmed in by people. They do not decide autonomously to select targets and launch themselves.

They are called sentry guns, korea and israel had them for a long time now.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
Turkey's guns target civilians. Innocent civilians in the opinion of many. ...
There's no such "civilian" indication in your link. If this system is truly autonomous, it's going to track anything of reasonable size that moves, to include people and goats, very much like the effect of a minefield, without the risk of leaving unremoved mines years later.

anorlunda said:
On second thought, I guess that land mines are non-intelligent low-tech precedent.
Or Claymores
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_Claymore_mine

But a recent thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/destined-to-build-a-super-ai-that-will-destroy-us.887729/ agonized over similar threats. It is the combination of automation and killing that is so alarming.
A time bomb is automated and lethal. They even occasionally turn on their more careless makers, like the fiction bots. If there's alarm, must come from some other feature or intention.

Oh well, I guess I overreacted because of revulsion.

Related to The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected

1. What is the premise of "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected"?

The premise of "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected" is that a futuristic cyborg assassin, known as the Terminator, is sent back in time to the year 1984 to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of the future leader of the human resistance against the machines. However, due to a malfunction in the time-traveling process, the Terminator arrives in 1984 earlier than expected, causing unforeseen consequences.

2. How does the earlier arrival of the Terminator affect the plot of the story?

The earlier arrival of the Terminator changes the course of events in the story. Instead of having more time to prepare and protect Sarah Connor, the Terminator's early arrival catches her off guard and forces her to adapt quickly. This also leads to unexpected encounters with other characters and alters the timeline of the future.

3. Who are the main characters in "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected"?

The main characters in "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected" are Sarah Connor, a young waitress who becomes the target of the Terminator's mission, Kyle Reese, a soldier from the future who is sent to protect Sarah, and the Terminator, a powerful cyborg assassin.

4. Is "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected" part of a larger franchise?

Yes, "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected" is part of the larger Terminator franchise, which includes multiple movies, TV series, novels, and comics. It is a prequel to the original 1984 film, "The Terminator," and explores different events and outcomes due to the earlier arrival of the Terminator.

5. How does the theme of time travel play a role in "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected"?

The theme of time travel is crucial to the plot of "The Terminator Arrives Earlier than Expected." The concept of altering the past and creating a different future is explored as a result of the Terminator's early arrival. This also raises questions about fate and whether certain events are destined to happen, or if they can be changed through time travel.