The time when AI can overcome humans

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
In his book "LIFE 3.0" Max Tegmark notes p 49

At a recent (approx. 2017) symposium on AI at the Swedish Nobel Foundation ".... a panel of leading AI researchers were asked to define intelligence, they argued at length without reaching a consensus. .... So there's clearly no undisputed 'correct' definition of intelligence. Instead, there are many competing ones, including capacity for logic, understanding, planning, emotional knowledge, self-awareness, creativity, problem solving and learning."

Tegmark's definition of intelligence is the ability to accomplish complex goals.

He says that this is broad enough to include the above mentioned goals as well as including the Oxford Dictionary definition "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge" It also includes @DaveC426913 criteria of ability to adapt.

Will we know what intelligence in a machine is when we see it?

Likes José Ricardo
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I think a key point made in an old article was trying to duplicate how living things actually think, or ways to emulate that process.
There is no reason to make that a goal if the purpose is useful AI.
Perhaps it would be better stated as "problem solving" versus "thinking". That old article may have been focused on neural networks as opposed to AI in general.

insects - cockroaches
Although I first saw this mentioned in an old article, doing a web search for AI insects or AI cockroaches still produces quite a few current hits, so at least a sub-field of AI is trying to duplicate the problem solving capabilities of some insects (cockroaches, worms, ...). As I mentioned before, some of this involves pre-programmed behaviors versus learned behaviors.

Last edited:
Likes José Ricardo
It depends largely who is "seeing" it. Check out the old ELIZA program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA).
I didn't know about this program that looks like a psychologist, or a psychiatric. Show.

@Svein, When you think that we gonna see AI'S who give classes, teach you textual production, like a teacher/professor of Language and Literature, or a teacher or a professor of Mathematics, only that an AI?

Last edited:
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
It depends largely who is "seeing" it. Check out the old ELIZA program (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA).
In the early years of AI people were overly fascinated with computer seemingly intelligent properties (the ELIZA Effect). Today there is a lot more skepticism about actual intelligence behind a computer response. Many believe that true intelligence (however you wish to define it) may not be possible at least for the foreseeable future. But could it happen that we will NOT recognize true intelligence if and when if it might occur?

Likes José Ricardo
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
@José Ricardo, If you are interested in AI , how it could impact the future of mankind, and why all of us should think about what we want for our future with AI read Max Tegmark's book "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence"

Likes José Ricardo
DaveC426913
Gold Member
One of my more ambitious programming attempts on my little C=64.

Once, I stopped my ELIZA simulation to do some debugging and typed the command to display a few lines for analysis. What I got back at the command prompt was: "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

All the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. And I slowly and carefully reached behind and switched off the power. Then I went outside and watched the sunset for a bit.

True story.

Good times. Good times.

@José Ricardo, If you are interested in AI , how it could impact the future of mankind, and why all of us should think about what we want for our future with AI read Max Tegmark's book "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence"
Thanks, Gleem! <3