1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The total weight o a gas filled balloon is 1500N.

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The total weight o a gas filled balloon is 1500N.THE BALLOON RAISES AT CONSTANT SPEED OF 10m/s.Calculate the resultant force acting on the balloon?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: forces

If the speed is constant, what does that mean about the acceleration? What does Newton's 2nd Law therefore say about the net force on the object?

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3

as given that the speed is constant ,so there is no acceleration in the ballon.and according to newton 2nd law,force acting on the object is directly proportional to mass of the objectand accelaration,now if we consider this, the net force will be equal to zero.

but i am still confused,am i right?

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah that's right. The net force has to be 0. So something has to provide lift to counteract the weight of the balloon. In this case it's the buoyant force that does so (i.e. the balloon floats).

6. Nov 22, 2011 #5

but how much magnitude of buoyant foce will be there when balloon continously arises up?

7. Nov 22, 2011 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm. Balloon weighs 1500 N. Rises with constant velocity. Net Force = 0. What is the buoyant force???? Eureka!, Mr. Archimedes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook