The total weight o a gas filled balloon is 1500N.

• Thread starter VICKZZA
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The total weight o a gas filled balloon is 1500N.THE BALLOON RAISES AT CONSTANT SPEED OF 10m/s.Calculate the resultant force acting on the balloon?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The total weight o a gas filled balloon is 1500N.THE BALLOON RAISES AT CONSTANT SPEED OF 10m/s.Calculate the resultant force acting on the balloon?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the speed is constant, what does that mean about the acceleration? What does Newton's 2nd Law therefore say about the net force on the object?

as given that the speed is constant ,so there is no acceleration in the ballon.and according to newton 2nd law,force acting on the object is directly proportional to mass of the objectand accelaration,now if we consider this, the net force will be equal to zero.

but i am still confused,am i right?

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
as given that the speed is constant ,so there is no acceleration in the ballon.and according to newton 2nd law,force acting on the object is directly proportional to mass of the objectand accelaration,now if we consider this, the net force will be equal to zero.

but i am still confused,am i right?
Yeah that's right. The net force has to be 0. So something has to provide lift to counteract the weight of the balloon. In this case it's the buoyant force that does so (i.e. the balloon floats).

but how much magnitude of buoyant foce will be there when balloon continously arises up?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Hmm. Balloon weighs 1500 N. Rises with constant velocity. Net Force = 0. What is the buoyant force???? Eureka!, Mr. Archimedes!