Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The up side of economic collapse and terrorism

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is something that Astro and I were talking about recently. I suspect that one ramification of the current economic crisis is that nations are being forced to work together in ways that we've never seen on a global scale. My hope is that we are being forced to find new ways to work together as partners for the common good. And the same applies to the global threat of terrorism - the people of the world have a common enemy.

I'm not a fan of the notion of a world government, but the idea of moving towards a truly global community is in everyone's best interest. We have wasted enough blood and treasure on wars.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    I agree. If it would reduce ethnic conflicts, fund developing nations who are currently struggling with human rights abuses because of what essentially amounts to the wage-slavery early American and British workers discussed (China, Indonesia, Colombia, etc.), and help bring attention to and help solve the ecological crises around the world, I am all for it.

As Thomas Paine said: "The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
    -- Thomas Paine.

This is true, we are ally really citizens of the world, the world is our country.
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    I read this yesterday and wasn't sure what to think. It certainly will make conspiracy theorists very happy (or not). But I agree Ivan, country ties are becoming tighter.
  5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Have you guys heard about Unasul or Unasur? The South American countries are attempting a Union similar to that of the EU. Might want to check that out.
  6. Dec 11, 2008 #5
    I'm not convinced because there is the other side of the coin when it comes to world government:

How will the laws be determined? There is no perfect set of laws. Even the constitution has its flaws.

What if a country doesn't agree with said laws? Will all the other countries coerce it into submission?

Power so centralized has the potential to be a disaster of unheard proportions if it falls into the wrong hands. We all know that not all countries or people have the same agenda. If you look in history you will be amazed at all the different ideas of "spreading goodness" there was.
  7. Dec 11, 2008 #6
    Just put me in charge, and it'll all be ok.
  8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
    You could have a set of 'basic human right's' types and whatever other basic laws that can be agreed on.
    .. I think it could be done.
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    See pp 2001-2009, George Walker Bush
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?