The Wave Equation (vibrating string)

In summary, the conversation discusses the differential equation describing the motion of a stretched string. The most general solution is of the form y(x,t) = f(x-ct) where f describes a pulse of any shape moving at speed c=sqrt(T/mu) in the positive x direction. This solution can be shown to satisfy the equation by using the chain rule. An expression for a sinusoidal standing wave can also be found by taking the superposition of two identical waves traveling in opposite directions.
roam

Homework Statement

The differential equation describing the motion of a stretched string can be written

[itex]\frac{\partial ^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\mu}{T} \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}[/itex]​

μ is the the mass per unit length, and T is the tension.

(i) Write down the most general solution you can for this wave equation, and show that it satisfies the equation.

(ii) Find an expression for sinusoidal a standing wave that satisfies the equation above.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I think the most general solution to that PDE is of the form [itex]y(x,t) = f (x -ct)[/itex], where f describes a pulse of any shape moving at speed [itex]c=\sqrt{T/ \mu}[/itex] in the positive x direction. And it goes to the negative direction if we have "+ct". So if we take the function to be sinusoidal the general solution is:

[itex]y(x, t) = Asin [k(x -ct)+ \phi][/itex] (for some ϕ)

I substituted this in the DE to show that it satisfies it. The LHS becomes:

[itex]\frac{\partial ^2 (Asin (kx - kct))}{\partial x^2} = -Ak^2 \sin (kx-ckt)[/itex]

And the right hand side:

[itex]\frac{\mu}{T} \frac{\partial ^2 (Asin (kx - kct))}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\mu}{T} AC^2 \sin (kx-ckt) = A \sin (kx-ckt)[/itex]

So, why are the LHS and RHS not equal? :confused: How can I show that the solution satisfies the wave equation?

(ii) I'm not quite sure how to approach this part. But I think we need an expression which does not contain the "kx-wt", therefore it's not an axpression of a single wave, but the superposition of two identical waves traveling in opposite directions:

[itex]A \ sin(kx-kct)+A \ sin(kx +kct)=2 \ A \sin(kx) \cos(kct)[/itex]

Is this correct? Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When taking the time derivatives of the sine function, you didn't quite get it right. Make sure you're using the chain rule of calculus properly.

However, in part (i) I'm not sure that you are meant to assume a sinusoidal solution. The problem seems to want the most general solution. As you noted, this would be a superposition of an arbitrary function of x - ct, f(x-ct), and a different arbitrary function of x + ct, g(x+ct). You then need to show that this superposition satisfies the wave equation. This will require careful use of the chain rule.

Part (ii) looks good to me.

What is the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation, also known as the vibrating string equation, is a partial differential equation that describes the motion of a vibrating string. It relates the string's position, time, and velocity to its elasticity, tension, and mass. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of vibrating strings, such as guitar strings or piano wires.

How is the Wave Equation derived?

The Wave Equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. By considering the forces acting on small segments of a string and using the principle of conservation of energy, the Wave Equation can be derived.

What are the main applications of the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of acoustics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used to model the behavior of vibrating structures, such as bridges and buildings, and to analyze the motion of particles in a medium.

What are the boundary conditions of the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation has two types of boundary conditions: fixed and free. Fixed boundary conditions occur when the ends of the string are fixed, such as in a guitar. Free boundary conditions occur when the ends of the string are allowed to move freely, such as in a jump rope. The specific boundary conditions used in a problem depend on the physical situation being modeled.

What is the significance of the Wave Equation in the study of physics?

The Wave Equation is a fundamental equation in the study of physics. It is used to describe the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many physical phenomena. By understanding the properties and solutions of the Wave Equation, scientists and engineers can better understand and predict the behavior of vibrating systems and waves in various mediums.