The World's Smartest Person is Female or Male?

• Thread starter whatissagar
  • Start date
whatissagar
Does she call herself a "genius", though? I haven't seen her do that.

Life isn't a points game, and we don't go around assigning points to problems. That would all be very meaningless anyway because things will vary in importance to different people. In the society I live in, people generally gravitate toward work that they have an aptitude for and more importantly, work that they find fulfilling.
what are you talking about? she is the genius because her IQ is the highest. Einstein, Bill Gates, etc. comes 2nd though.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
what are you talking about?
I said, "does she call herself a genius"?

I'm asking if she defines herself that way. I don't see an IQ score as "all there is" to being a "genius". IMHO, "genius" is a better label for a individual's works rather than an individual.

she is the genius because her IQ is the highest. Einstein, Bill Gates, etc. comes 2nd though.
One opinion. There are others... Galileo, Descartes, Da Vinci, etc...

the person with highest IQ is female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_vos_Savant

so, the smartest person on earth is woman?

I thought men have higher IQ than women on average.
iq tests are not particularly reliable. besides, not every person in the world has taken an iq test so even by that measure she may not be the most intelligent in the world.
as for the average female iq being lower than the average male iq; even if this is true it does not mean that there are not incredibly intelligent women or incredibly stupid men out there. its only an average.
theoretically the most intelligent person in the world could be a 13 year old black kid slinging dope on a street corner in the ghetto, though it would defy statistics.

as for marilyn doing something for society you could easily say she is making herself a role model for young women. "the best.." or "the most.." on record in the majority of catagories tends to go to men.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is such a plethora of IQ tests on the web, and such an obsession with it on this forum, that people tend to forget why IQ tests were developed and why they are used. IQ tests are very helpful in assessing children with developmental delays and and determining what educational resources will be the most beneficial for them. They can also be helpful in evaluating cognitive losses in patients that have had brain damage. They also have been found to give indicators to a decline in general health (see "terminal drop" phenomenon).

They are not that helpful for people with normal and above average intelligence. They were never designed for people with normal and above average intelligence to "rank themselves", or one-up each other, or choose their goals in life based on their score. Aside from that, there is plenty of debate on what "intelligence" is and how it should be measured.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I said, "does she call herself a genius"?

I'm asking if she defines herself that way.
From her web site:
Marilyn was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for five years under "Highest IQ" for both childhood and adult scores. She has since been inducted into the *Guinness Hall of Fame*. Marilyn was named by Toastmasters International as the #1 most popular communicator/speaker in the educational and social category.
http://www.marilynvossavant.com/bio.html

Does she say she's a genius? No she doesn't use that word. She embraces what looks to me to be the more narcissistic name of Savant as her own.

Is she guilty of blowing her own horn?

She's her own symphony orchestra.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From her web site:
http://www.marilynvossavant.com/bio.html

Does she say she's a genius? No she doesn't use that word. She embraces what looks to me to be the more narcissistic name of Savant as her own.
Or maybe she just explains the origin of her name because it is a FAQ.
Is she guilty of blowing her own horn?

She's her own symphony orchestra.
Of course! It's the bio section of her website. Everyone does that. Toot, toot, baby! :biggrin:

Don't worry. The world's smartest person( me!! ) is telling you he is male. Debate resolved.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And now the thread slides into silliness.

As far as the OP's question, there is a pretty good summary of sex and intelligence studies here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_intelligence

Honestly, I think we have enough IQ threads on PF for the moment.