The XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid

• Thread starter justinlee
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

the XRD pattern of Zinc oxide and zinc oxide in acrylic acid !!

I did XRD analysis of zinc oxide, and its peaks are at 31.7, 34.4, 36.2, 47.5, 56.6, 62.9 and 67.9 (2-theta degree).

further, I did XRD of zinc oxide dispersed in acrylic acid/IPA. but it's wierd !! Why I could got some peaks at 21.6, 27.2, 32.7, 38.4, 44.1, 50.0, 62.1 and 68.5 (2-theta degree), but these peaks are totally different from the peaks of pure zinc oxide ??!

Is it cause of the crystalline has been changed or destroyed ?

thanks for your teaching !!

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two big concerns with the medium:

1. Acrylic acid polymerizes pretty easily upon radiation. I would hardly be surprised if you've now got significant amounts of poly-acrylic acid in the medium, which may be producing the extra peaks.

2. What are the purity levels of AA/IPA?

I dispersed ZnO particles in AA/IPA mixture which is 50:50 ratio.

And, I add 0.1g ZnO into 1g AA and 5g IPA, then did polymerization; but i could get the apparent peaks of ZnO particles in XRD analysis (there is no any peak )!! that's wierd !!

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Could you have formed an acrylic/zinc soap? When you polymerized the AA did you form a gel or did a solid ppt? If you are isolating a ppt, perhaps the zinc component remains in the IPA?