Theorem about inverse of an inverse f

  • Thread starter Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
issacnewton
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
37
Hi

I have to prove that if [itex]f:A\rightarrow B[/itex] is bijective (onto and one to one)
then

[tex]f=(f^{-1})^{-1}[/tex]

Following is my attempt. Since [itex]f:A\rightarrow B[/itex], we have [itex]f^{-1}:B\rightarrow A[/itex].

Now there is another theorem which says that function f is a bijection (onto and one to one)
iff inverse of f is also bijection. Let [itex]g:A\rightarrow B[/itex] be the inverse of
[itex]f^{-1}[/itex]. We know that g exists since [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is a one to one.
No let [itex]x \in A[/itex] be arbitrary , then

[tex]\exists \,\, y \in B \backepsilon[/tex]

[tex]g(x)=y[/tex] but since

[tex]y \in B \Rightarrow \exists \,\, x_1 \in A \backepsilon[/tex]

[tex]f(x_1)=y \Rightarrow f(x_1)=g(x)[/tex]

So if I can show that [itex]x=x_1[/itex] and since x is arbitrary , I will complete the proof.
But I am stuck here. Can anybody suggest something ?

thanks
Newton
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]g=(f^{-1})^{-1}[/itex] and examine [itex]g\circ f^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]f^{-1}\circ g[/itex] what does this say about g?
 
Hi mat

Thanks for the hint. Here's my improvement. There is another theorem given in the section
in which I am doing this problem.

Theorem: Suppose that [itex]f:A\rightarrow B[/itex] is a bijection, then

(a)[tex](f^{-1}\circ f)(x) = x \;\;\forall x \in A[/tex]

and

(b) [tex](f \circ f^{-1})(y)=y \;\;\forall y \in B[/tex]

So I think I can use this theorem here, since [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are inverses
of each other. and both of them are bijections since f itself is a bijection. We have that

[tex]g:A\rightarrow B \;\; \mbox{and}\;\; f^{-1}:B\rightarrow A[/tex]

So using the stated theorem, we have

[tex]f^{-1}(g(x))=x \;\;\forall x \in A[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow g(x) = f(x) \;\;\forall x \in A[/tex]

In my last post , I got the equation [itex]f(x_1)=g(x)[/itex]. So from here can I claim that
[itex]x=x_1[/itex]

If I can claim that, then I can say that

[tex]f(x)=(f^{-1})^{-1}(x) \;\;\forall x \in A[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow f=(f^{-1})^{-1}[/tex]

is it ok ?
 
mat , can you confirm my logic in the last post ?