1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical Lattice Energy for MgF2

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the theoretical lattice energy for MgF2 (Born-Landé equation)

Ionic radius Mg+2 (coordination number 6) = 86 pm
    Ionic radius F- (coordination number 3) = 116 pm
    Madelung constant = 2.408
    n = 7

2. Relevant equations
    b0dedee27d206a607aa2c0343ad9608a.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having problems with this equation, because its result is very different from the experimental lattice enthalpy of MgF2 (-2962 kJ/mol), and it must be similar.
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4670/quiqui.jpg [Broken]
    What's wrong? Maybe the sum of ionic radius? (I added the Mg ionic radius plus 2 times F radius).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    Hi pollycampos!! :smile:

Why add twice the fluorine radius? You need the nearest distance to the neighboring ion. What would you get, then?

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3
    So I added 86 + 116 = 202, and the result is:
    http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1336/quinooo.jpg [Broken]
    It's still kind of far away from the experimental result (-2962 kJ/mol), no? Or is this result right?
    Thank you in advance, Infinitum :biggrin:

5. Jun 17, 2012 #4
    Based on the given information, this answer looks correct. There might be errors in measuring the values that were given, and hence the discrepancy.

6. Jun 17, 2012 #5
    Thank you a lot, Infinitum :smile: The radius information was given by my teacher's book, so I guess it isn't wrong...:uhh: I thought the results should be very close, because MgF2 is a very ionic solid, no?

7. Jun 17, 2012 #6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born–Landé_equation#Calculated_lattice_energies

The equation gives approximately equal values to the actual lattice energies. Usually less. This is because the ionic crystals, however 'ionic' you might think of them, do have a degree of covalency. You can never have a perfectly ionic solid.

Edit : In MgF2, Mg has a +2 charge, which by Fajan's rules creates a greater degree of covalency. It also is quite small, even smaller than sodium so that leads to a greater deviation from ionic behavior.

8. Jun 17, 2012 #7
    Oh yes, I think I should write that in my homework :tongue: Is there another reason for the experimental value be different from the theoretical? I have to write 2 reasons.

9. Jun 17, 2012 #8
    Ruh-roh!! I wouldn't have explained it that way if I knew you had to write reasons :tongue2:

10. Jun 17, 2012 #9
  11. Jun 17, 2012 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please note it is much easier to use LaTeX built into forums for such equations than to input them as images.

[tex]E=-\frac{N_A M z^+ z^- e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_0}(1-\frac 1 n)[/tex]

12. Jun 17, 2012 #11
    Thank you, I didn't know how to use the LaTeX :tongue:

13. Jun 17, 2012 #12

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook