Theoretical physics or astrophysics

In summary, if you are undecided about what you want to study, it is advised to take classes in multiple areas of physics and then research which one you are the most interested in. Fields like theoretical astrophysics and astrophysics/astronomy/cosmology have been growing in popularity recently, but it is important to keep in mind that not all jobs within those fields are currently available.
cwrn
I am soon to apply for university and I am not quite sure what I want to study. Theoretical physics and astrophysics/astronomy/cosmology all seem like very interesting fields of physics to me. How do I go about when I choose my career path? Which one of the fields has been more prospering than the other lately?

I hope this is the place to ask these kinds of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical physics is vague and isn't a field.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727 [Broken]

Zz

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a basic formal basic education in physics, then you do whatever you can to get research experience in the field(s) you like, and eventually try applying to graduate school for your chosen field of research.

If you're in the UK where there are actual distinctions between physics/astrophysics/theoretical physics bachelors, the courses you will take will differ slightly. At the university I am at(as an exchange student), the straight physics majors do more lab courses while the theoreticians take 1-2 more math courses, 1 more programming course, and dynamical systems (Hamilton-Jacobi theory and such). Those in astrophysics naturally have relevant courses, but all three can take courses from any specialty.

This can vary widely though, as at my home university (physics only), all of these subjects (and more) are compulsory.

"Theoretical astrophysics/astronomy/cosmology" seems to be the obvious choice. That said, I strongly advice making career decisions based on "I like/dislike to do ..." (e.g. "like to write small programs", "like helping people", "like/dislike sitting on a computer the whole day", "like/dislike solving equations", ...) rather than "I want to work in the field of ...".

Are you applying as an undergraduate or graduate? (It sounds like undergraduate especially due to the lack of exposure to frame it as "Theoretical physics or astrophysics")

If so then you are applying to the university as a whole or just the school that houses sciences but either way you don't have to decide yet. Apply then take classes in both and try research in the one that interests you the most and see if you like it.

Whatever field you choose make sure that there's a lot some jobs available in that field. I originally planned on pursuing some hardcore theory fields such as strings, mathematical physics, and even LQG. I quickly found that there are practically no jobs in those fields and changed to something still theoretical but with a heavy computational flavor. If things don't work out exactly as planned I'll always have my CS skills to fall back on.

1. What is the difference between theoretical physics and astrophysics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena. It involves using mathematical and computational tools to understand the fundamental laws of nature. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is a subfield of astronomy that applies the principles of physics to study the behavior and properties of objects and phenomena in outer space.

2. How do theoretical physicists and astrophysicists conduct their research?

Theoretical physicists and astrophysicists use a combination of mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and observations to conduct their research. They often collaborate with experimental physicists and astronomers to test their theories and models.

3. What are some of the current theories and concepts in theoretical physics and astrophysics?

Some of the current theories and concepts in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, general relativity, and string theory. In astrophysics, some of the current areas of research include dark matter and dark energy, black holes, and cosmic inflation.

4. What are some real-world applications of theoretical physics and astrophysics?

Theoretical physics and astrophysics have numerous real-world applications, such as in the development of new technologies, understanding the behavior of matter and energy, and predicting and explaining astronomical phenomena. For example, theoretical physics has led to the development of GPS technology, while astrophysics has helped us understand the origins of the universe and the behavior of celestial bodies.

5. Can you become a theoretical physicist or astrophysicist without a PhD?

While a PhD is typically required for a career in theoretical physics or astrophysics, there are other paths one can take in these fields. Some individuals may pursue a master's degree and work in research or teaching positions, while others may work in related fields such as engineering or computer science. However, a PhD is usually necessary for more advanced research positions and to make significant contributions to these fields.