1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical research only based jobs

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

As the title suggest I wish after I finish my higher degree to be involved in a research based career, as far as I can tell
    postdoc is for continuing in academia and also teaching, which I am not fond of.

So which options are available without wanting to teach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

You want theoretical research jobs only but not in academia? I would think academia would be your largest theoretical research pool.

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I don't mind teaching graduate students (although it depends what type of students are enrolled), but teaching first year undergraduate students is not my cup of tea.

I don't mind staying in academia, but my thought was that research only jobs in academia is mainly for postdocs, which is a temporary job anyway.

What other options are there in academia for research only jobs?

5. Jan 9, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are very few. There are US national lab positions plus places like IAS and Perimeter. These probably total ~100 positions, so ~3 per year open up. Note that these are in all areas of physics; if you do HEP Theory and a position in condensed matter theory opens up, it doesn't help you.

There are a small number of industrial theory positions with companies like IBM. These are essentially all in condensed matter, and often very specialized areas within condensed matter.

If you have a Nobel Prize or similar, you can get a faculty position where teaching is not required.

6. Jan 9, 2014 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In case people missed it, I did a quick, non-scientific survey of the type of jobs being advertised in Physics Today over a period of 4 months. One can read it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3998201&postcount=144

In those 4 issues, the ratio of experimentalist job to theorist job was 4:1.

Zz.

7. Jan 9, 2014 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Interesting; that's actually a better ratio than I'd assumed.

8. Jan 9, 2014 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A few years ago, RIM's stocks actually went up even after posting a loss, all because the loss was less than what many analysts had predicted.

I can't help feeling that this is similar to what you had just said. And in both cases, they made me scratch my head.

Zz.

9. Jan 9, 2014 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What are you confused about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook