1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of everything and chemical bond theory

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    Hello,

Theoretical physicists assert that quantum mechanic and relativistic world use distinct mathematical models that can not united into one so far. The reason of it, which I do not understand, is the gravity. Once we encompass the gravity in the quantum world (or vice versa), we (maybe) will have one model of "everything". Please, be merciful with me, I am not a physicist and I know I use kitchen language.

But how is it possible, that we do not have for example "united theory of chemical bond" ? I presume, we do not need to count with gravity in this case. Instead of that we describe covalent, ionic bonds, "weak bonds" such as dipole–dipole interactions, the London dispersion force and hydrogen bonding. Do we know the logic laying underneath?

thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Chemical bonds can be described via quantum mechanics ONLY. There is no reason to include gravity.

Zz.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3
    @ZapperZ

@ZapperZ

Yes, for sure there is not need to include gravity. But does it mean, we have theoretical model which describes the chemical bond universally, so we can precisely predict the behavior and properties of any existing chemical substance ????

Lyborko

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, we can predict the behavior and properties extremely accurately using only Quantum Mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook