1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivity Definition

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have read that Thermal Conductivity means: “The thermal conductivity of a substance is the quantity of heat in cal/sec passing through a body 1 cm thick with a cross section of 1 sq. cm when the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the body is 1 deg. C.” http://www.lib.umich.edu/dentlib/Dental_tables/Thermcond.html [Broken]

Does it means also how fast a substance can increase or decrease its temperature when is in contact with a heater or colder fount? For example, will it means that in the case of the Alumina (recrystallized), that its index is 38.7 (mcal/s) / (cm^ C/ cm), 1 cubic centimeter will absorbs 0.0387 cal /second, having 1 square cm of surface in contact with the heat fount?

I am interested in to find the formula that lets to calculate how fast a given mass of substance warms up or colds down by second, in an ideal system (without losses of heat).

The other question is if “1 (cal/sec) / (cm2 C/cm) = 419 W/m K”; is 419 W/m K equivalent to 4.19 W/m K? (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/tables/thrcn.html#c1)

Thanks a lot.

PS – I apologize for my English, I am learning it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2
    Excuse me please,

The other question should be: " If 1 (cal/sec) / (cm2 C/cm) = 419 W/m K”; is it 419 W/m K equivalent to 4.19 W/cm K?"

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook