Thermal conductivity of a thin film

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nanoboyAhmet
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is given.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to solve the question as if there is a nanowire between two reservoirs and got an answer. But I don't know what should I do to measure thermal conductivity in a thin film.

My formula for k in a nanowire was independent from geometry and material, just dependent to temperature. So if I say, the thin film and nanowire conductivities are the same, would this reasoning be valid?
 
Attachments
  • 20170108_151636.jpg
    20170108_151636.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
To measure thermal conductivity of a thin film, you will need to measure the temperature gradient across the film and then calculate the thermal conductivity from that. This can be done by either measuring the temperature directly with thermocouples or with other temperature sensors, or by measuring the power dissipated in the thin film and then calculating the temperature gradient from that. Once you have the temperature gradient, you can use the formula $$k = \frac{Q}{A\Delta T}$$ where Q is the heat flow, A is the cross-sectional area of the thin film, and ΔT is the temperature gradient.