Searching for Thermally Conductive Fabric / Film

• Thread starter normynormand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fabric Film
In summary, the conversation is about finding a fabric or film that can withstand high temperatures and has good thermal conductivity. The person is looking for a thickness range of 1-10 mil and a maximum temperature of 450-500 F. There is also a need for electrical insulation. Suggestions for potential materials include Kapton sheet and fiberglass cloth.
normynormand
I'm looking for a fabric or film with thicknesses maybe in the range of 1-10 mil that can withstand a high temperature (ideally up to 450 - 500 F) and has good thermal conductivity characteristics through the thickness of the material.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think we have enough information to provide a recommendation yet. Some of my thoughts:
  • What are you trying to achieve?
  • What is "good" thermal conductivity to you?
  • Are there other requirements like electrical insulation?

I am using the fabric to wrap around and secure two pieces of filament to be fused together. Heat will be transferred from a heating element wire through the fabric in order to melt the filament. Ideally the thermal conductivity in the "z" direction (through the thickness of the fabric) would approach that of more thermally conductive metals such as aluminum, however I am just looking for "as good as I can get" from a fabric/film with a maximum functional temperature in the range that I specified. And yes, electrical insulation will be a necessity. Thanks for the reminder!

It's kind of a tough set of requirements, finding something with high thermal conductivity while being electrically insulating. You might consider a thin layer of Kapton sheet, which has high dielectric strength and relatively high working temperature range. While it isn't a great thermal conductor, that might not matter very much if the layer is very thin.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...mide-films/brands/kapton-polyimide-film.html/

Thanks Tom. This is an old thread and so I’m going to close it now to avoid spam posts like what recently happened here.

1. What is thermally conductive fabric / film and how does it work?

Thermally conductive fabric / film is a material that is designed to efficiently transfer heat from one point to another. It is typically made of a combination of conductive fibers or particles that allow heat to flow through the material. When placed between two surfaces, the fabric / film helps to dissipate heat by conducting it away from the hotter surface.

2. What are the properties of thermally conductive fabric / film?

Thermally conductive fabric / film is typically lightweight, flexible, and has a high thermal conductivity. It is also often heat-resistant and can withstand high temperatures without degrading. Additionally, some types of thermally conductive fabric / film may have other properties such as moisture-wicking or flame-retardant capabilities.

3. What are the potential applications of thermally conductive fabric / film?

Thermally conductive fabric / film has a wide range of applications, including in electronics, automotive, aerospace, and medical industries. It can be used in heat sinks, thermal management systems, and as a component in clothing or protective gear. It is also being explored for use in renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels.

4. How is thermally conductive fabric / film tested and evaluated?

Thermally conductive fabric / film is typically tested using a variety of methods, including thermal conductivity measurements, thermal resistance measurements, and thermal cycling tests. These tests help determine the material's ability to dissipate heat and its durability under various conditions.

5. What are the challenges in developing thermally conductive fabric / film?

One of the main challenges in developing thermally conductive fabric / film is achieving a balance between thermal conductivity and other desirable properties such as flexibility and durability. Another challenge is finding cost-effective and sustainable methods of producing these materials. Additionally, ensuring consistent and reliable performance over time is crucial for widespread adoption of thermally conductive fabric / film in various industries.