Searching for Thermally Conductive Fabric / Film

  • Thread starter Thread starter normynormand
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fabric Film
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
normynormand
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a fabric or film with thicknesses maybe in the range of 1-10 mil that can withstand a high temperature (ideally up to 450 - 500 F) and has good thermal conductivity characteristics through the thickness of the material.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we have enough information to provide a recommendation yet. Some of my thoughts:
  • What are you trying to achieve?
  • What is "good" thermal conductivity to you?
  • Are there other requirements like electrical insulation?
 
I am using the fabric to wrap around and secure two pieces of filament to be fused together. Heat will be transferred from a heating element wire through the fabric in order to melt the filament. Ideally the thermal conductivity in the "z" direction (through the thickness of the fabric) would approach that of more thermally conductive metals such as aluminum, however I am just looking for "as good as I can get" from a fabric/film with a maximum functional temperature in the range that I specified. And yes, electrical insulation will be a necessity. Thanks for the reminder!
 
It's kind of a tough set of requirements, finding something with high thermal conductivity while being electrically insulating. You might consider a thin layer of Kapton sheet, which has high dielectric strength and relatively high working temperature range. While it isn't a great thermal conductor, that might not matter very much if the layer is very thin.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...mide-films/brands/kapton-polyimide-film.html/