Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for Thermally Conductive Fabric / Film

1. Jul 24, 2017 #1
    I'm looking for a fabric or film with thicknesses maybe in the range of 1-10 mil that can withstand a high temperature (ideally up to 450 - 500 F) and has good thermal conductivity characteristics through the thickness of the material.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2017 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think we have enough information to provide a recommendation yet. Some of my thoughts:
    • What are you trying to achieve?
    • What is "good" thermal conductivity to you?
    • Are there other requirements like electrical insulation?

4. Jul 25, 2017 #3
    I am using the fabric to wrap around and secure two pieces of filament to be fused together. Heat will be transferred from a heating element wire through the fabric in order to melt the filament. Ideally the thermal conductivity in the "z" direction (through the thickness of the fabric) would approach that of more thermally conductive metals such as aluminum, however I am just looking for "as good as I can get" from a fabric/film with a maximum functional temperature in the range that I specified. And yes, electrical insulation will be a necessity. Thanks for the reminder!

5. Jul 25, 2017 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's kind of a tough set of requirements, finding something with high thermal conductivity while being electrically insulating. You might consider a thin layer of Kapton sheet, which has high dielectric strength and relatively high working temperature range. While it isn't a great thermal conductor, that might not matter very much if the layer is very thin.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...mide-films/brands/kapton-polyimide-film.html/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted