Thermal Diffusion with Heat Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature inside a cylindrical wire with fixed surface temperature and a uniform current. The formula for T(r) is given, and the speaker attempts to derive it using a differential equation. However, they make an error in using Cartesian coordinates instead of cylindrical coordinates, leading to an incorrect term in their solution. The correct solution does not have a constant term, as it would be physically impossible for the temperature to be infinite at the origin.
rabbit44

Homework Statement

A cylindrical wire of thermal conductivity k, radius a and resistivity p uniformly
carries a current I. The temperature of its surface is fixed at T0 using water cooling.
Show that the temperature T(r) inside the wire at radius r is given by
T(r) = T0 + p(I^2)(a^2 - r^2)/4pi^2a^4k

Homework Equations

del squared(T) = (c/k)dT/dt - H/k

Where H is heat generated per unit volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the system to be in a steady state as the temperature is fixed. So:

d2T/dr2 = -H/k

I took H = I^2 (pl/A)(1/lA)
= I^2p/pi^2a^4

Subbing this into my differential equation and integrating twice wrt r, I get:

T = -(I^2.p.r^2)/(2pi^2.a^4.k) + ba + c

Where b and c are integration constants. I think b must be zero but am not sure why. Then putting in T=T0 at r=a I would get a close answer but with a 2 on the bottom of the second term instead of a 4.

Where did I go wrong?!?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is thermal diffusion with heat source?

Thermal diffusion with heat source is a process in which heat is transferred from one location to another through a medium, such as a solid or fluid, due to a difference in temperature. This process is often seen in everyday life, such as when a pot of water is heated on a stove.

2. How does thermal diffusion with heat source work?

Thermal diffusion with heat source works by the movement of particles within the medium. When there is a temperature difference between two locations, the particles in the warmer area move faster and collide with the particles in the cooler area, transferring energy and causing the cooler area to heat up.

3. What factors affect thermal diffusion with heat source?

There are several factors that can affect thermal diffusion with heat source, including the temperature difference between the two locations, the properties of the medium, such as its thermal conductivity, and the presence of any barriers or obstacles that may impede the flow of heat.

4. What are some examples of thermal diffusion with heat source?

Some common examples of thermal diffusion with heat source include the transfer of heat between a hot stove and a pot of water, the heating of a room by a radiator, and the cooling of a hot drink by adding ice cubes. Thermal diffusion with heat source is also an important process in many industrial and technological applications, such as in the production of semiconductors and the cooling systems of electronic devices.

5. How is thermal diffusion with heat source related to other heat transfer processes?

Thermal diffusion with heat source is closely related to two other heat transfer processes: conduction and convection. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a material, while convection involves the movement of a fluid or gas to transfer heat. Thermal diffusion with heat source can occur through both of these processes, depending on the specific circumstances and properties of the medium involved.