1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion of energy by heat flow

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem belongs to the Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology, Hobbie Chapter 4.

The heat flow equation in one dimension

$$ j_H=-\kappa \partial_x T $$

where ## \kappa ## is the termal conductivity in ## Wm^{-1}K^{-1}##. One often finds an equation for the diffusion of energy by heat flow:

$$ \partial_t T=D_H \partial^2_x T $$

The units of ## j_H## are ## Jm^{-2}s^{-1}##. The internal energy per unit volumen is given by ##u=\rho CT##, where C is the heat capacity per unit mass and ##\rho## is the density of the material. Derive the second equation from the first and show ## D_H ## depends on ## \kappa, C## and ##\rho##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried this:

As ## u=\rho CT ##, I can write the temperature as ##T=\frac{u}{C\rho}##, so in the first equation:

$$ j_H=-\kappa \partial_x \left( \frac{u}{C\rho} \right) $$

and rewriting this and replacing it in the second equation:

$$\partial_t T=D_H\partial_x(j_H/\kappa) $$

which is similar to

$$\partial_t T=D_H \partial_x \partial_x ({u}{C\rho}) $$

but I got stucked here because I can't derivate this. Any ideas on how to move on?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The second equation is the thing to be proved, no? So you cannot use it in the proof.
    Consider a small element at position x length dx, temperature T(x,t). Neighbouring elements are at temperatures T(x-dx, t) and T(x+dx, t).
    What is the heat flow into the element from each neighbour? Approximate T(x-dx, t) etc. using the usual f(x+dx)=f(x)+f'(x)dx+ ... rule, but taking into account the second order terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted