Thermal Physics Adiabatic Heating Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the final temperature of a system containing iron filings and an ideal monatomic gas. Assuming negligible heat capacity and an adiabatic process, the final temperature is calculated using the energy lost by the iron and gained by the gas. The correct answer is 260K, with a minor error made in the equation.
Borntofly123
Greetings all,

My first post here on this forum. I'm currently revising for exams and have got stuck on a question where I'm not sure where I'm going wrong...Question:
1g of iron filings at 500 °C are inserted into a sealed 20 litre vessel containing 1 mol of an ideal monatomic gas at a pressure of 10^5 Pa.

1. Assuming the walls of the vessel are of negligible heat capacity and the process is adiabatic, what is the final temperature of the system?
(specific heat capacity of iron = 0.45 kJ kg–1K–1.)The attempt at a solution:
I start by arguing that as this is a sealed environment, then the energy lost by the iron equals the energy gained by the gas.

Therefore for the iron Q=mc*deltaT where deltaT=T(final) - (500+273K)

As this is adiabatic, then the potential gained by the gas is given by dU=C(v)dT where C(v) is the heat capacity of constant volume for the gas given by nRf/2 where f is the number of degrees of freedom, in this case 3 for a monatomic gas.

Then equating mc(T(final)-773)=1.5R(T(final)-(pV/nR)) where pV/nR is used to find the initial temperature of the gas, leads to T(final) found to be 221K, which is clearly wrong. I'm told the answer is 260K.

Any pointers or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are missing a minus sign in your equation. The change in the combined internal energy of the filings and the gas should be zero. Otherwise, everything else looks OK.

Chet

So simple, yet so frustrating. Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

Borntofly123 said:
So simple, yet so frustrating. Thank you for your help, much appreciated!
I hope you're not too frustrated. You got the hard part completely right. You just made a minor error at the end.

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to this problem. However, there are a few things that may be causing your answer to differ from the correct answer.

Firstly, when calculating the energy gained by the gas, you should use the specific heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp) instead of the specific heat capacity at constant volume (Cv). This is because in an adiabatic process, the pressure remains constant and therefore Cp is the appropriate value to use.

Secondly, when calculating the initial temperature of the gas, you should use the ideal gas law (pV = nRT) instead of pV/nR. This is because the ideal gas law accounts for both pressure and volume, whereas pV/nR only accounts for pressure.

With these corrections, the equation should look like this:

mc(T(final)-773)=1.5R(T(final)-(nRT/pV))

Solving for T(final) will give you the correct answer of 260K.

I hope this helps and good luck on your exams!

1. What is thermal physics and how does it relate to adiabatic heating?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, specifically in relation to heat and temperature. Adiabatic heating is a phenomenon that occurs when a gas is compressed or expanded without heat being added or removed from the system. Thermal physics helps to explain the mechanisms behind adiabatic heating and its effects on the gas.

2. Why is adiabatic heating important in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic heating is a key concept in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas. It is also important in practical applications such as the compression of gases in engines and the behavior of the Earth's atmosphere.

3. How is adiabatic heating different from other forms of heating?

Adiabatic heating is different from other forms of heating because it does not involve the transfer of heat from one system to another. Instead, it is a result of changes in the internal energy of a gas due to changes in pressure and volume.

4. What is the adiabatic heating equation and how is it used?

The adiabatic heating equation is given by Q = ncΔT, where Q is the change in internal energy, n is the number of moles of gas, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation is used to calculate the change in temperature of a gas undergoing adiabatic heating.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic heating?

One example of adiabatic heating is the compression of air in a bicycle pump, which causes the pump and the air inside it to become warmer. Another example is the heating of the Earth's atmosphere due to compression from air moving over mountains. Adiabatic heating is also observed in the compression of gases in internal combustion engines.