Thermal physics. Entropy's functional dependecy

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm reading Kittel&kroemer's Thermal physics. How can I know Entropy's functional dependency?
    Author assume entropy's functional dependecy without explanations and derive some equaltities. So I can't follow it.

N the number of particles. U Energy of the system. V. volume of the system [itex]\tau[/itex] fundamental temperature
    [itex]\sigma(N,U)[/itex], [itex]\sigma(\tau,V) etc...[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. George Jones

George Jones 6,480
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On what page(s) does this occur?

4. 2nd edition p66~p67, p43. "" is what author says.
    p66 "The number of states and thus the entropy depend only on U and on V, for fixed number of particles," I don't know why the number of states depend on on U and V.
    In chapter2 multiplicity thus entropy is function of U and N. p43 "The entropy may depend on additional independent variables" I don't know in what circumstance the entropy depend on what variables.
    p67 "If we denote these interdependent values of dU and dV by [itex](\delta U)_{\sigma}[/itex] and [itex](\delta V)_{\sigma}[/itex], the entropy change will be zero." I don't know why it's possible to assume constant entropy and make U and V be interdependent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?