Work Check: Heat transfer between reservoir and small system

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total change in entropy in the universe when a large reservoir at temperature ##T_r## is placed in thermal contact with a small system at temperature ##T##. The solution involves finding the entropy of the system and the reservoir, and then taking the sum of these two changes.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Could someone look through my work? The parts where I wrote (??) are steps I am especially unsure about.

Many thanks in advance.

A large reservoir at temperature ##T_r## is placed in thermal contact with a small system at temperature ##T##. They end up at temperature ##T_r##. Given that ##C## is the heat capacity of the system, find the total change in entropy in the universe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by looking for the entropy of the system. Since the volumes don't change, I can write
$$ dU_{s} = TdS_{s}$$
Since ##U_{s}## is a state function that depends only on the initial and final states of the system, I take some reversible pathway (??), which means
$$dU_{s} = TdS_{s} = \delta Q_{rev}$$
$$dS_{s} = \frac{1}{T} C dT$$
Integrating gives me $$\Delta S_{sys} = C \ln{\frac{T_r}{T}}$$
Then for the entropy of the reservoir: Conservation of energy, and the fact that the reservoir doesn't change its volume allows me to write (again, using some reversible path [?])
$$dU_{r} = T_{r}dS_{r} = -dU_{s} = -CdT$$
$$dS_{r} = -\frac{1}{T_{r}}CdT$$
Integrating gives me ##\Delta S_{r} = \frac{C(T - T_r)}{T_r}##

The total change is then the sum of these two changes in entropy.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

Could someone look through my work? The parts where I wrote (??) are steps I am especially unsure about.

Many thanks in advance.

A large reservoir at temperature ##T_r## is placed in thermal contact with a small system at temperature ##T##. They end up at temperature ##T_r##. Given that ##C## is the heat capacity of the system, find the total change in entropy in the universe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by looking for the entropy of the system. Since the volumes don't change, I can write
$$ dU_{s} = TdS_{s}$$
Since ##U_{s}## is a state function that depends only on the initial and final states of the system, I take some reversible pathway (??), which means
$$dU_{s} = TdS_{s} = \delta Q_{rev}$$
$$dS_{s} = \frac{1}{T} C dT$$
Integrating gives me $$\Delta S_{sys} = C \ln{\frac{T_r}{T}}$$
Then for the entropy of the reservoir: Conservation of energy, and the fact that the reservoir doesn't change its volume allows me to write (again, using some reversible path [?])
$$dU_{r} = T_{r}dS_{r} = -dU_{s} = -CdT$$
$$dS_{r} = -\frac{1}{T_{r}}CdT$$
Integrating gives me ##\Delta S_{r} = \frac{C(T - T_r)}{T_r}##

The total change is then the sum of these two changes in entropy.
Looks good. Nice job.

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of exchanging thermal energy between two systems due to a temperature difference.

What is a reservoir in the context of heat transfer?

In the context of heat transfer, a reservoir is a large system with a constant temperature that can supply or absorb heat without changing its own temperature significantly.

What is a small system in the context of heat transfer?

A small system in the context of heat transfer is a system that can exchange heat with a reservoir, but its temperature can change significantly due to the heat transfer.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer between a reservoir and a small system?

The rate of heat transfer between a reservoir and a small system is affected by the temperature difference between the two systems, the thermal conductivity of the materials, and the surface area of contact between the two systems.

How is heat transfer quantified between a reservoir and a small system?

Heat transfer between a reservoir and a small system is quantified using the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the temperature difference, thermal conductivity, and surface area of contact between the two systems.