Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal power of the air extracted from a building

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    Good afternoon.
    I need to know if the thermal power of the air extracted from a building is greater than 80kW.
    I know the flows entering and leaving the building. Also, I know the temperature of the air inside and outside the building.
    How do I calculate the power of the air extracted?
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll need to know either the specific heat of the air at the temperatures encountered or know the enthalpy of the air. The latter will depend on temperature and humidity.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    Ok. I know the specific heat. I have solved problems like this in the past. Im just a bit rusty.

I think I have found the solution:
    P = Cp·flow·DeltaT

I am just not sure about the units:
    P- power (W)
    flow- m3/sec
    DeltaT- temperature diference between the inside and the outside of the building
    Cp- specific heat (J / (kg . ºK))

Is this correct?

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems to be.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5
    I think I cant use the flow like this. If i use it like this i wont get the power in watts but this W.m3/kg.
    What should i do to get watts?

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can convert the volumetric flow to a mass flow, using the temperature of the air to find its density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook