Thermal properties of ice cream

In summary, you need to know about the thermal properties of ice cream, specifically the thermal conductivity and latent heat and the relation of it's variation with temperature. You also need to know about how the properties vary with temperature depending on the substance used.
sonu_123
i need some conceptual help for my final year project...
what are the thermal properties of ice cream?? Specifically the thermal conductivity and latent heat and the relation of it's variation with temperature...
i'll be adding a copy of my abstract for better understanding. oh and yeah I'm a mechanical engineer by the way...

Attachments

• Computer Simulation of Two Phase Processes.doc
    56 KB · Views: 736
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm really sorry but that doesn't help me much as I've already made use of GOOGLE search and GOOGLE SCHOLAR for the values. What I have in my hand are the thermal properties at a constant temperature. I need a relation that tells me how those properties vary with temperature.

S. No Name of the Constant Value
1. Latent Heat of Fusion of Ice Cream 210.14 J/kg
2. Density 568 kg/m3
3. Specific Heat of Ice Cream at 4°C 2.948 J/kg-K
4. Specific Heat of Ice Cream at -26°C 1.629 J/kg-K
5. Thermal Conductivity of Ice Cream at 4°C .694 W/m-K
6. Thermal Conductivity of Ice Cream at -26°C .993 W/m-K

Assuming you're after fairly rough-and-ready engineering values, I'll try offering some comments:

1. The enthalpy of fusion is a rather weak function of temperature. For most engineering purposes, assuming it's temperature independent is not a bad approximation.

For the rest of the comments below, I have to assume you know how much overrun (that is, included air) you have. Commonly ice cream runs about 25-30% air by volume. I hope you won't say there isn't any, because if you did, your "ice cream" would be more like a solid block of flavorful ice.

Anyhow:

2. Density of a two phase mix, which is essentially what you have here, is often estimated as a volume fraction weighted average of the components. Thus, if you know your ice cream is (let's say) 25% by volume air, you can get the air density at atmospheric pressure and the desired temperature by the ideal gas law. The "liquid" part of it-that is, the actual freeze mix of milk, flavoring, sweetener, and whatnot-could be reasonably approximated by the density of milk, tables/correlations for which are likely available from agricultural extension services, among other places. Put those data together in a volume fraction-weighted average for various temperatures and there you have your density as a function of temperature.

I'll follow with more comments later. Gotta go right now.

Well...That data was very helpful...

I have completed my Under-Grad Project but need even more help as I am working on the same thing for my Masters. Suggestions on what other substances can be used for the analysis would be very helpful too.

I am planning to perform the computational analysis using ANSYS FLUENT this time as I have worked on ANSYS APDL Mechanical the previous time. So help/tutorials regarding the same would also be appreciated.

Apologies. Didn't see this thread until today and didn't see the date, either.

Anyhow: I know of two articles published about 9 years ago that address these topics pretty well. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I can provide PDFs of these articles if you're interested.

What are the thermal properties of ice cream?

The thermal properties of ice cream refer to how it responds to changes in temperature. This includes its melting point, freezing point, and heat capacity.

Why does ice cream melt?

Ice cream melts because it is made up of water, sugar, and fat. When exposed to higher temperatures, the heat causes the ice crystals to melt and the fat to soften, resulting in a liquid consistency.

What is the freezing point of ice cream?

The freezing point of ice cream is typically around 32°F (0°C). However, this can vary depending on the ingredients and additives used in the ice cream, as well as the freezing method.

How does the fat content affect the thermal properties of ice cream?

The fat content in ice cream affects its thermal properties by acting as an insulator. This means that ice cream with a higher fat content will take longer to melt compared to ice cream with a lower fat content.

Can the thermal properties of ice cream be altered?

Yes, the thermal properties of ice cream can be altered by changing the ingredients and ratios used in its production. For example, adding more stabilizers can help prevent ice crystals from forming and affect the melting point of the ice cream.