• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to write an IEEE level research paper?

Main Question or Discussion Point

So I want to write a research paper and publish it before I complete my engineering degree this year. I have selected the topic which is "Analysis of the voltage regulation of Self excited induction generator using STATCOM". I have collected all the resources required and am also doing research. But I don't know where to start? I haven't prepared abstract yet. Your academic guidance will be highly appreciated, if detailed.

Answers and Replies

billy_joule
Science Advisor
The abstract is the last thing you write.
Where exactly are you stuck? There is a plethora of great resources around, googling 'how to write a research paper' is a good start.
Do you have a supervisor? Have you written a research proposal? Have you done a literature review?

DrSteve
Gold Member
Do you have results? Do they make sense? Is your work advancing science in a meaningful way? Do others publish on the topic? If it's just reporting on some simulations then you'll have a hard time even if you can answer yes to the above questions.

If you want to publish, then you should have read quite some research papers before. You'll need to copy their style mostly.