Thermochemistry: Understanding Delta H and Work in Constant Pressure Reactions

  • Thread starter Thread starter ace123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermochemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
ace123
Messages
250
Reaction score
0
1. For a certain reaction at constant pressure, delta U= -72 KJ, and 39KJ of expansion work is done by the system. What is delta H for this process.

2. I basically have no idea what to do because it's not in my textbook and my professor has never taught this. Maybe If I knew what the delta U stood for I could understand it.

Thanks

Edit: Wild guess, answer is -111 KJ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody know what the damn delta U supposed to signify
 
No, It does not. In my book this is the only way this is written [tex]\Delta{H}\,=\,\Delta{E}\,+\,P\Delta{V}[/tex] My guess was that it stood for E but i wasnt sure. Does that I am right?
 
ace123 said:
No, It does not. In my book this is the only way this is written [tex]\Delta{H}\,=\,\Delta{E}\,+\,P\Delta{V}[/tex] My guess was that it stood for E but i wasnt sure. Does that I am right?

yes, some places use U and some use E, they are the same