Calculating Delta H using Hess's Law for Thermochemistry Homework

In summary, the problem is to calculate the delta H. Hess's Law II can be used to calculate the delta H.
ace123
1. The problem is to calculate the delta H.

(1/2)A====> B 150 KJ/mol

3B====> 2C + D -125 KJ/mol

E + A====> D 350 KJ/mol

We have to find the delta H for: B + D====> E + 2C

2. The equation to use is just Hess's Law II

3. Now I have tried to combine these three reactions everyway I can think of but I can't get it the reaction B + D====> E + 2C

Is it even possible to get it there because my D's cancel out. The closest I get is to is this B====> 2C + E

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

edit: Did I not state the problem clear enough?
edit: Never had zero responses. Oh well :confused:

Last edited:
hi again,

I'm with you on this one, I can't see a solution either, sure the original equations are correct? would be helpful if it were E + A --> 2D?

There is no solution from the given data. It's fairly easy to show that the final equation can not be written as a linear combination of the first 3 equations, with non-zero coefficients.

Probably a typo!

PS: E + A --> 2D will fix it, as would 3B --> 2C

Last edited:
Thank you I've been going mad. It was on one of my midterm's and my professor said that it was possible. I knew it couldn't be because the D's cancel out. Thank you again

Edit: The wierdest thing is that he told me the answer is -175 KJ/mol. How does he come up with an answer with no reaction. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
PS: E + A --> 2D will fix it, as would 3B --> 2C

maybe use one of these, that might give his answer of -175kJ, then show him the typo!

Also, in general reaction enthalpies can not be specified in kJ/mol, simply in kJ. That's at least one more typo!

Yea, we told him that part. I guess I will try the E + A --> 2D and see if I get that answer.

Edit: Yea it looks like it was a typo. It should have be E + A --> 2D. But he didn't say their was a typo and he better not mark my answer as wrong then. Anyway thanks :wink:

Last edited:
Can mark this as solved. I would do it myself but it's not letting me for some reason

Related to Calculating Delta H using Hess's Law for Thermochemistry Homework

1. What is Thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the study of the relationship between heat energy and chemical reactions. It involves measuring and calculating the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions or physical processes.

2. What kind of problems are typically included in Thermochemistry homework?

Thermochemistry homework typically includes problems that involve calculating heat energy, enthalpy changes, and entropy changes in chemical reactions. It may also involve solving problems related to Hess's Law, heat capacity, and bond energies.

3. How do I approach solving Thermochemistry problems?

The first step in solving Thermochemistry problems is to identify the type of problem and the relevant equations. Then, gather all the necessary data and set up the equations. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using appropriate units and significant figures.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Thermochemistry?

One common misconception is that Thermochemistry is only about heat and temperature. In reality, it also involves understanding the energy changes associated with different chemical processes. Another misconception is that Thermochemistry is only useful in the laboratory, when in fact it has many real-world applications in fields such as environmental science and engineering.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Thermochemistry concepts?

To improve your understanding of Thermochemistry, it is important to practice solving problems and to review the underlying principles and equations. You can also read related articles and watch instructional videos to supplement your learning. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending study sessions can provide valuable support and clarification.