Thermodynamic (Solar Hot Water System) Problems?

In summary: Water does not have a density of 1 kg/m^3! It's gotten bro, you know it's passed, our questions not on this point, and no need to this red bold things, I'm not haha. Anyway very thanks for your helps. Bye Bye this forum.
gfxroad

Homework Statement

A solar hot water system is designed to supply 100% of the hot water demand of 0.6 m3/day when the isolation on the tilted collector is 22,000 kJ/m2 with a collector efficiency of 50%. The tap water temperature is 8ºC and the desired hot water temperature is 58ºC. Determine the required collector area.

Homework Equations

P0 = W0/t
W0 = C m ΔT
P0 = ε P

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this problem, but how can I use the 0.6 m3/day, somehow I was used it by replacing m3 by kg because density of water is 1 cal/gm*0C, but some illogical value raise as a result like Ac = 1.32*10-7 m2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since when is density measured in units of cal/gm-C?

Thermodynamic (Solar Hot Water System) Problems?miss print

I'm sorry its miss print.
I mean that the density of water is 1 kg/m3.
So according to the equation Ï= m/v when Ï=1 m=v
Hence we can replace 0.6 m3 by 0.6 kg

gfxroad said:
I'm sorry its miss print.
I mean that the density of water is 1 kg/m3.
So according to the equation Ï= m/v when Ï=1 m=v
Hence we can replace 0.6 m3 by 0.6 kg

Is the density of water equal to 1 kg/m^3? That seems to be an awfully small number. Take a moment to visualize how large a volume a cube measuring 1 m on each side is.

Tring to solve the problem

Any mistake or faults you see in the following solve?
P0=W0/t
W0=C*m*ΔT
P0=ε*P
P=1/ε *(C.m.ΔT) ------ (1)
ε is 50% = 0.50
C is 1 cal/gm *0C
since Ï= m/V and Ïwater= 1 ∴ m=V , m=600 gm
ΔT=Tm-Ta = 58-8=50 0C
by replacing the values above in equation (1)
P=1/0.50 * (1 * 600 * 50)
P= 60,000 cal = 60,000 * 4.186 = 251160 J = 251,16 kJ
Ac=P/Q
Ac=251.16 / 22,000 = 0.0114 m2 Collector area
is this result is illogical or a step mistake was happened.
Thanks in advance.

Hello! You're not listening! Water does not have a density of 1 kg per cubic meter! That is an absurdly low density! You can barely make a cup of coffee with 600 g of hot water!

SteamKing said:
You can barely make a cup of coffee with 600 g of hot water!

They have interesting sizes of coffee cups where you live. Starbucks' largest is Trenta, at 920 ml, but it is for iced drinks only, I hear. Their largest, which is actually used to serve hot beverages, is Venti, 590 ml.

The customary kitchen "cup" unit is 250 ml (except in the US, where it is a tad less).

voko said:
They have interesting sizes of coffee cups where you live. Starbucks' largest is Trenta, at 920 ml, but it is for iced drinks only, I hear. Their largest, which is actually used to serve hot beverages, is Venti, 590 ml.

The customary kitchen "cup" unit is 250 ml (except in the US, where it is a tad less).

Yeah, but when the water only has a density of 1 kg/m^3 like the poster thinks, it's hard to get that full-bodied flavor you want in a premium cuppa Joe.

This forum make me bored meanwhile two of the big members have fighting without giving any respect to the new members, nevertheless I not get any interest.

You're still not paying attention to what is being said about major errors in your calculation.

WATER DOES NOT HAVE A DENSITY OF 1 KG / M[itex]^{3}[/itex]!

It's gotten bro, you know it's passed, our questions not on this point, and no need to this red bold things, I'm not haha. Anyway very thanks for your helps. Bye Bye this forum.

1. What are the main components of a solar hot water system?

The main components of a solar hot water system include solar collectors, a heat transfer system, a storage tank, and a backup heating system. The solar collectors are responsible for collecting the sun's energy and transferring it to the system. The heat transfer system then moves the heated fluid to the storage tank, where it is stored until it is needed. The backup heating system is used during times when there is not enough sunlight to heat the water.

2. How does a solar hot water system work?

A solar hot water system works by using the sun's energy to heat water. The solar collectors, which are usually mounted on the roof, absorb the sun's rays and transfer the heat to a fluid, such as water or antifreeze. This heated fluid then moves through a heat exchanger, where it transfers its heat to the water in the storage tank. The heated water can then be used for various purposes, such as showering or washing dishes.

3. What are some common problems with solar hot water systems?

Some common problems with solar hot water systems include leaks, malfunctioning pumps or valves, and freezing during winter months. Leaks can occur due to damaged pipes or connections, while malfunctioning pumps or valves can prevent the system from properly transferring heat. Freezing can also be an issue in colder climates, as the fluid in the system can freeze and cause damage if not properly insulated.

4. How can I maintain my solar hot water system?

To maintain your solar hot water system, it is important to regularly check for leaks and ensure that all components are functioning properly. It is also recommended to have a professional inspection every 3-5 years to check for any potential issues. Additionally, keeping the system clean and free of debris can help it run more efficiently and extend its lifespan.

5. What are the benefits of using a solar hot water system?

There are several benefits to using a solar hot water system, including reduced energy costs, lower carbon footprint, and potential tax incentives. By using the sun's energy to heat water, homeowners can save money on their monthly utility bills. Additionally, solar hot water systems are more environmentally friendly than traditional water heating methods, as they do not emit greenhouse gases. Some governments also offer tax incentives to those who install solar hot water systems, making it an even more attractive option for homeowners.