Thermodynamic Work: Non-Conducting Piston & Cylinder

In summary: Since you would seem to like to apply concepts from freshman physics to this problem, using a free body diagram, what is the algebraic force balance equation on the piston?The algebraic force balance equation is F=ma
Hydrous Caperilla

Homework Statement

A non-conducting piston of mass m and area of cross section A is placed on a non-conducting cylinder.
Intial height of piston is h and spring is relaxed with a spring constant k.Then,work done in displacing pistin by heating gas is (x is the displacement of the pistion)

The diagram is of a cylindrical cylinder with a piston and a spring attached to the pistin in the middle .The spring can be compressed without any restrictions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of applying the work energy for this system but due to heat as well as change in internal energy,I think it won't work

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hydrous Caperilla said:

Homework Statement

A non-conducting piston of mass m and area of cross section A is placed on a non-conducting cylinder.
Intial height of piston is h and spring is relaxed with a spring constant k.Then,work done in displacing pistin by heating gas is (x is the displacement of the pistion)

The diagram is of a cylindrical cylinder with a piston and a spring attached to the pistin in the middle .The spring can be compressed without any restrictions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of applying the work energy for this system but due to heat as well as change in internal energy,I think it won't work[/B]
First of all you need to tell us what the question is. Second, you need to explain the set up better or provide a drawing. Finally, you need to show in a bit more detail what you have done to solve the problem and explain why you think your approach does not work.

AM

Likes Chestermiller
The only thing I had thought for this was to use work enrgy theorem because no other informations were provided

I thought of using- W gas+W atm+W spring+W gravity=KE(final)-K.E (Initial)

However since the gas is heated there because of heat therefore I don't think this will apply

Hydrous Caperilla said:
The only thing I had thought for this was to use work enrgy theorem because no other informations were provided

I thought of using- W gas+W atm+W spring+W gravity=KE(final)-K.E (Initial)

However since the gas is heated there because of heat therefore I don't think this will apply
Are you taking a formal course in Thermodynamics currently?

Since you would seem to like to apply concepts from freshman physics to this problem, using a free body diagram, what is the algebraic force balance equation on the piston?

Also, as Andrew Mason has requested, please provide an exact statement of this problem. If your next response does not include that exact wording, this thread will be deleted.

1. What is thermodynamic work?

Thermodynamic work is the energy transferred between a system and its surroundings due to a change in volume or pressure.

2. How is work calculated in a non-conducting piston and cylinder system?

In a non-conducting piston and cylinder system, work is calculated as the product of the force applied to the piston and the distance it moves.

3. Why is a non-conducting piston and cylinder system used in thermodynamic work?

A non-conducting piston and cylinder system is used in thermodynamic work to ensure that all the work done is due to changes in pressure and volume, rather than heat transfer.

4. How does thermodynamic work relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamic work is a form of energy transfer, and therefore, it is related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

5. Can thermodynamic work be negative?

Yes, thermodynamic work can be negative if the system loses energy due to work being done on it by the surroundings. This often occurs when the volume of the system decreases, causing the surroundings to do work on the system.