1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Thermodynamics] Calculate change in entropy of closed reversible system

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mercury is a silvery liquid at room temperature. The freezing point is -38.9 degrees celcius at atmospheric pressure and the enthalpy change when the mercury metls is 2.29 kJ/mol. Wat is the entropy change of the mercury if 50.0 g of mercury freezes at these conditions? The molarmass of mercury is 200.59 g/mol. Assume the process is reversible

2. Relevant equations
    Q=m(h_2-h_1) (enthalpy equation)
    Q=mT(s_2-h_1) (entropy equation)

3. The attempt at a solution

first I calculated what the energy change is per kg with what the enthalpy change is. h2-h1 is 2.29 kJ/mol and since there are 4.0118 mols I got 9.187 J/kg.

So then I used Q/m = T(delta S)

I rewrote Q/m to 459.35 J (since there are 50 grams of the substance) and divided that by T which is 234.1. The answer I get is 1.96 J/K whereas the answer is -2.44 J/K.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Ortix! :smile:

Perhaps you calculated the number of moles the wrong way around?
    If 1 mol is 200.59 g, how many moles is 50.0 g?

4. May 19, 2012 #3
    Hey Serena,

Very stupid mistake indeed. It would be 50/200.59=0.249264669 but this would result in a much smaller solution and still not negative (however, it would be negative entropy since the mercury is being frozed, in other words, energy is being taken out)

I quickly worked it out on my laptop calculator (in bed on my laptop) and my answer is: 0.0488 J/K which is obviously wrong.

5. May 19, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yup, that's why it's negative.

Did you take the 2.29 kJ/mol into account?
    Or else what did you calculate?

6. May 20, 2012 #5
    I got the answer! Pretty simple calculation, but could you perhaps tell me what "m" exactly is in the equations and what the units are?
    Q=m(h_2-h_1) (enthalpy equation)
    Q=mT(s_2-h_1) (entropy equation)

Because I ended up with the right answer being in the form Q/mT when it should be Q/T. I think I'm doing something wrong in the conversion of mol to gram.

EDIT:
    I think I got it. I equated both equations and let the m's drop out. Since enthalpy is given as specific enthalpy per mol, i just multiplied it by the amount of moles present in the substance and got the total enthalpy change. Divide that by T and that is the answer!

Can anyone tell me if my reasoning is correct? :)

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. May 20, 2012 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep. That's it. :)

m is the mass in kilograms.

And for the record, your 2nd equation should read: Q=mT(s_2-s_1) (entropy equation)

8. May 20, 2012 #7
    Oh yeah, that was a typo :) Thanks for putting me on the right track! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook