[Thermodynamics] Calculate change in entropy of closed reversible system

In summary, the molarmass of mercury is 200.59 g/mol. Assume the process is reversible.When 50.0 g of mercury freezes at these conditions, the entropy change is 1.96 J/K.
Ortix

Homework Statement

Mercury is a silvery liquid at room temperature. The freezing point is -38.9 degrees celcius at atmospheric pressure and the enthalpy change when the mercury metls is 2.29 kJ/mol. Wat is the entropy change of the mercury if 50.0 g of mercury freezes at these conditions? The molarmass of mercury is 200.59 g/mol. Assume the process is reversible

Homework Equations

Q=m(h_2-h_1) (enthalpy equation)
Q=mT(s_2-h_1) (entropy equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

first I calculated what the energy change is per kg with what the enthalpy change is. h2-h1 is 2.29 kJ/mol and since there are 4.0118 mols I got 9.187 J/kg.

So then I used Q/m = T(delta S)

I rewrote Q/m to 459.35 J (since there are 50 grams of the substance) and divided that by T which is 234.1. The answer I get is 1.96 J/K whereas the answer is -2.44 J/K.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ortix! :smile:

Perhaps you calculated the number of moles the wrong way around?
If 1 mol is 200.59 g, how many moles is 50.0 g?

Hey Serena,

Very stupid mistake indeed. It would be 50/200.59=0.249264669 but this would result in a much smaller solution and still not negative (however, it would be negative entropy since the mercury is being frozed, in other words, energy is being taken out)

I quickly worked it out on my laptop calculator (in bed on my laptop) and my answer is: 0.0488 J/K which is obviously wrong.

Yup, that's why it's negative.

Did you take the 2.29 kJ/mol into account?
Or else what did you calculate?

I got the answer! Pretty simple calculation, but could you perhaps tell me what "m" exactly is in the equations and what the units are?
Q=m(h_2-h_1) (enthalpy equation)
Q=mT(s_2-h_1) (entropy equation)

Because I ended up with the right answer being in the form Q/mT when it should be Q/T. I think I'm doing something wrong in the conversion of mol to gram.

EDIT:
I think I got it. I equated both equations and let the m's drop out. Since enthalpy is given as specific enthalpy per mol, i just multiplied it by the amount of moles present in the substance and got the total enthalpy change. Divide that by T and that is the answer!

Can anyone tell me if my reasoning is correct? :)

Last edited:
Yep. That's it. :)

m is the mass in kilograms.

And for the record, your 2nd equation should read: Q=mT(s_2-s_1) (entropy equation)

Oh yeah, that was a typo :) Thanks for putting me on the right track! :D

1. What is the definition of entropy in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is often referred to as the measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a closed system.

2. How is the change in entropy calculated for a closed reversible system?

The change in entropy for a closed reversible system can be calculated by using the equation ΔS = ΔQ/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, ΔQ is the heat added or removed from the system, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is a closed reversible system in thermodynamics?

A closed reversible system is a theoretical concept in thermodynamics where there is no transfer of matter between the system and its surroundings, and all processes within the system are reversible.

4. How does the change in entropy affect the efficiency of a system?

The change in entropy has a direct impact on the efficiency of a system. In a closed reversible system, the change in entropy is zero, resulting in maximum efficiency. However, in real-world systems, there is always some degree of irreversibility, leading to an increase in entropy and a decrease in efficiency.

5. Can the change in entropy of a closed reversible system ever be negative?

No, the change in entropy for a closed reversible system can never be negative. This is because entropy is a measure of disorder, and any process that occurs in nature will always result in an increase in disorder or entropy.