What is the change in entropy of the water in a reversible heat engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect attempt at solving for the amount of heat taken from the ice, as well as the correct solution using the efficiency of a reversible heat engine. It also delves into the meaning of 1-η and the negative sign in the equation for Q, and the calculation for the change in entropy of the water. Finally, the conversation concludes with a satisfactory solution.
Pouyan
Homework Statement
1 kg of liquid water with a temperature of 373 K is cooled in a reversible heat engine by a very large block of ice with a temperature of 273 K until the water (still liquid) adopts the temperature of 273 K. Determine how much ice is melted in the process.
Relevant Equations
C_w = C_water= 4200 (J/KgK)
dQ_water= 1kg*C_w*dT
C_ice=334000 J/kg
Q_ice= m_ice * C_ice
My attempt:
I though :
ΔQ_w= 1*4200 * (-100) J=-420000J
Q_ice=334000*m_ice = ΔQ_w

But it was totaly wrong!
The solution showed :

Because the heat engine is reversible the efficiency η = 1- (T_cold / T)
T_cold is always 273 K while the hot temperature changes from 373 K to 273 K during this loop.
The amount of heat taken from the ice :
Q = -C ∫(1-(1-(T_cold/T)))*dT [from 373 to 273]
Q=358 kJ

Q_ice=334000*mm=Q/Q_ice = 1.07 kg

My question is this part:
Q = -C ∫(1-(1-(T_cold/T)))*dT
What do I see it is Q=-C*∫(1-η)dT
1-But what does 1-η mean?
2-Where does the negative sign come from? (I mean why do we write -C?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't heat being added to the ice rather than "taken from the ice"?

Let dQH and dQC denote small amounts of heat taken from the hot reservoir and given to the cold reservoir, respectively, during a small step of the process. Use conservation of energy and the definition of efficiency η to express dQC in terms of η and dQH.

Likes Pouyan
TSny said:
Isn't heat being added to the ice rather than "taken from the ice"?

Let dQH and dQC denote small amounts of heat taken from the hot reservoir and given to the cold reservoir, respectively, during a small step of the process. Use conservation of energy and the definition of efficiency η to express dQC in terms of η and dQH.
I tried with this but I don't know if I am right!
1- (Qc/Qh)= 1-(Tc/T)
Qc/Qh = Tc/T
Qc=Qh*Tc/T

where Qh=∫m*C*dT
Qc in this case will be -358 kJ
But I can not still understand why should we multiply it by -1?

Chestermiller said:
If the engine operates reversibly, the change in entropy of the water plus the ice is zero. What is the change in entropy of the water?

Bingo!

I should think on that as well!

Now I can write in this way :

S_ice=- S_water

Where S_water= ∫m*c/T *dT!

S_ice = Q_ice/T_c !

Now I have a good solution ! Thank you for this help:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Chestermiller

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is often referred to as the "arrow of time" as it tends to increase in closed systems.

What is a reversible heat engine?

A reversible heat engine is a theoretical concept in thermodynamics where all processes can be reversed without any loss or gain of energy. It is used as a model to study the maximum efficiency of real-world heat engines.

How is entropy related to a reversible heat engine?

In a reversible heat engine, the change in entropy of the system is equal to the heat absorbed or released divided by the temperature at which the transfer occurs. This is known as the Clausius inequality and is a fundamental law in thermodynamics.

What is the change in entropy of the water in a reversible heat engine?

The change in entropy of the water in a reversible heat engine is dependent on the specific processes taking place. However, since a reversible heat engine is a theoretical concept, the change in entropy of the water would be minimal as the engine is designed to minimize energy loss.

How does the change in entropy of the water affect the efficiency of a reversible heat engine?

The change in entropy of the water is directly related to the efficiency of a reversible heat engine. The smaller the change in entropy, the higher the efficiency of the heat engine. This is because a reversible heat engine is designed to minimize energy loss and increase its efficiency.