1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Cycle of Processes

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain fluid of mass 1kg undergoes a cycle of processes in a piston and cylinder device as follows:

Process A-B: 70kJ of work done on the fluid. 35kJ of heat rejected to surroundings

Process B-C: 50kJ of heat transferred to the fluid. No change in internal energy of system.

Process C-A: 100kJ of work done by the fluid, fluid returns to the initial state.

Calculate the heat transferred to or from the fluid in process C-A.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that ΔU=Q-W is a relevant equation as I have been able to work out the other parts of this question that I have not written here with it, this part is actually the first part of the question but I am finding it the hardest to see what to do here :redface:

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know whether you are supposed to use some of the values listed in Process A-B again or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2
    What you're missing is that, for a cyclic process, the sum of the three ΔU's has to be zero.

Chet

4. Apr 9, 2014 #3
    Ah thank you very much for pointing that out! Much appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted