1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics- energy transfer

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ice has formed on a pond and steady state has been reached. the air temperature above the ice is -10 degrees celcius, while at the bottom of the pond the temperature is 4 degrees celcius. the total depth of the ice and water is 0.50m. if the thermal conductivites of ice and water are 1.68 and 0.50 W/m*K respectively, how thick is the ice?

2. Relevant equations
    H=k*A*delta T/delta x

3. The attempt at a solution
    im not really sure on how to solve this question, guided steps would be really appreciated, i got an exam in 2 days and not sure hjow to solve it:( help would be great:D thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2
    1 - What is the temperature at the interface of water and ice? (At what temperature can water and ice co-exist?)
    2 - Write 2 equations of the heat flow rates through water and ice.
    3 - What is the relation of the 2 heat flow rates above under the steady state?
    From question 2 and 3, you should obtain an equation connecting 2 unknowns: the thickness of the ice and the thickness of water in the pond. Another equation is about the total depth.

This one is optional:
    4 - What assumption about the heat flow did we make?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. Jun 30, 2010 #3
    I want to solve water hammer equations with the help of Finite Difference Method by using MATLAB. Can any one help me.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook