1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Equlibirum State

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    Hi there!

A question just popped out, during an exercice. Any help is welcome!

Imagine a rigid cilindrical rod that allows heat exchange!
    The rod is divided in two compartiments. Say water and air. The division between them is not fixed and also allows heat exchange. Both the temperature and pressure of the water and air is the same. However, the cilindrical rod is in an atmosphere at a Temperature diferent from the air and Water.

My question:

Considering a system envolving the cylindrical rod, is the system at equilibirum?

Regards,

c.teixeira

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2
    Hi c.teixeira! Welcome to PF :smile:

I think it all depends on when you are looking at the equilibrium condition. Given enough time, the rod will gain/lose enough heat from/to the atmosphere and finally be in thermal equilibrium.

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    At any given moment when the temperature outside the system composed by the rod, is diferrent from the temperature of the air and Water of the rod!

My guess, is that YES, the system is at equilibrium, althoug the temperature OUTSIDE MY SYSTEM is diferent!
    From the definitions of thermodynamic equilibrium, that is the conclusion I take, however, it feels strange!

Any other thoughts about this?

Thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook