Thermodynamics; find the thermal energy

In summary, the total thermal energy in a liter of helium at room temperature and atmospheric pressure is 1,5 kT. The total thermal energy in a liter of air at room temperature and atmospheric pressure is 1 kT.
iScience
question:Calculate the total thermal energy in a liter of helium at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Then repeat the calculation for a liter of air.

I'm just confused because i thought thermal energy only depended on the translational kinetic energy of the particles. So why do i need all the pressure if the temperature is already given?

the only equation that comes to mind is E(kinetic)=3/2kT

and ...maybe the gas law?..

where do i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this way:

U(thermal) = N*1,5kT

and the ideal gas law: pV = NkT

so E(thermal)=(3/2)NkT -----> E(thermal)=(3/2)PV? since N=PV/kT? and then i just plug and chug?

iScience said:
so E(thermal)=(3/2)NkT -----> E(thermal)=(3/2)PV? since N=PV/kT? and then i just plug and chug?

Yes, I believe so...

isn't a "PV" term dynamically associated with the pressure with respect to a change in volume? ie calculating the work done on a system from a PV diagram? (ie the area under the PV curve)

janhaa said:
Maybe this way:

U(thermal) = N*1,5kT

and the ideal gas law: pV = NkT

You're missing something here. The correct formula for an ideal gas is
$$
U = \frac{f}{2} N k T
$$
where ##f## is the number of (quadratic) degrees of freedom. That is why you get a different answer for helium and air.

iScience said:
isn't a "PV" term dynamically associated with the pressure with respect to a change in volume? ie calculating the work done on a system from a PV diagram? (ie the area under the PV curve)
Yes, expansion/contraction work done by/on a gas is obtained from
$$
W = - \int_{V_i}^{V_f} P \, dV
$$
but ##PV## by itself is just the product of the pressure and the volume.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
but ##PV## by itself is just the product of the pressure and the volume.

well what i was getting at was i thought that that quantity (PV) was the case where the P is constant (isobaric) but still a dynamic case where the Volume is changing. so basically i don't understand why the quantity PV is used for a static case.

iScience said:
well what i was getting at was i thought that that quantity (PV) was the case where the P is constant (isobaric) but still a dynamic case where the Volume is changing.
Pressure doesn't have to be constant. The formula for work is valid even when ##P## varies, although this might make it complicated to calculate the integral (unless ##P## can be expressed as a simple function of ##V##).

iScience said:
so basically i don't understand why the quantity PV is used for a static case.
Equations of state are equations that relate the different macroscopic observables of a system. In the case of a gas, these observables are ##P##, ##V##, and ##T## (for a fixed quantity of gas). For an ideal gas, the relation is exactly
$$
PV = N k T
$$
or
$$
PV = n R T
$$
Such equations of state also exist for more realistic gases: they are slightly more complicated, but again relate ##P##, ##V##, and ##T##, such that if you fix two of them you can know the value of the third.

As an example, if you measure the pressure inside a bicycle tire and know what the temperature is, then you can calculate the volume inside the inner tube. So you see, this has nothing to do with "dynamics."

This is the first response to this thread in over a year and a half. I am closing this thread.

Chet

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship with work. It explains how energy is transferred between different systems and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the total energy possessed by an object or a system due to the motion of its particles. It is a form of kinetic energy that is associated with the random motion of molecules and atoms.

3. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy can be measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). The amount of thermal energy possessed by a system is directly proportional to its mass, temperature, and specific heat capacity.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in various aspects of our daily lives, such as cooking, heating and cooling our homes, generating electricity, and even breathing. It helps us understand how energy is transformed and used in different processes.

5. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of steps.