1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Finding a fundamental equation.

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    Thermodynamics!! Finding a fundamental equation.

This is the question:
    "While he Gibbs free energy G is the fundamental function of the atral variables (T,p,N), (T=temperature, p=pressure, N=number of molecules), growing biological cells often regulte not the numbers of molecules N, but the chemical potentials μ. That is, they control concentrations. What is the fundamental function Z of natural variables (T,p,μ)?

I know a few equations that deal with Gibbs free energy:
    G=H-TS
    G=[tex]\sum[/tex]μN

Basically, I have no idea where to start with this problem. If anyone can give me a push in the right direction that would be much appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to apply a Legendre transform (so check out what this is). An example of of Legendre transform: we use G instead of H because we wish to use T as a natural variable instead of S. Now you've learned that you'd also like to use μ instead of N. This should be enough to get you started.

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3
    Thanks so much, I looked up how to use Legendre transforms for this type of problem and eventually figured it out (not to mention learned something!). Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?