Thermodynamics: Comment on mistake

In summary: If so, could you share a link?Sorry, I don't have a compressed water table. I could try to look one up, but I don't know where to find it.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a mole of water at 25##^{\circ}## at atmospheric pressure. You then raise its temperature to 30##^{\circ}##. Determine the change in Gibbs free energy. To compensate for the change, once can raise the pressure on water, how much pressure you need to increase?

I know the right way to do this problem, but I would like to know what I did wrong initially with the following steps:

I knew ##\Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S = \Delta Q - \Delta W_{other}##, so i thought: To raise temperature I'd probably need to provide heat, and since no mention of any non-mechanical work was made in the problem, let's take ##\Delta W_{other} = 0##

Therefore ##\Delta G = \Delta Q = C_p \Delta T##, where ##C_p## was a given.

I would then use the thermodynamic identity to work out the pressure change.

What were the wrong assumptions made?

Assistance is greatly appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

In my book ##\Delta H = c_p \Delta T##, so you missed the ##T\Delta S## altogether ? Anyway, if T is not a constant, what do you do with a term like ##T\Delta S## ?

BvU said:
Hi,

In my book ##\Delta H = c_p \Delta T##, so you missed the ##T\Delta S## altogether ?

Good heavens, I just spotted my mistake. It should have been ##\Delta G = \Delta W_{other}## at the end when ##Q## and ##T\Delta S## cancel. Thanks for pointing it out.

I guess that even this result wouldn't have been the most useful.

I would have made use of the fact that ##\Delta G / \Delta T = -S## to solve the problem by using the ##G## thermo-identity.

BvU said:
Hi,
Anyway, if T is not a constant, what do you do with a term like ##T\Delta S## ?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? Apologies.

WWCY said:
Could you elaborate
My comment was exclusively triggered by your ##
\Delta G = \Delta H - T\Delta S = \Delta Q - \Delta W_{other}##.

However, the natural variables are ##T,p## and ##{N_i}## so that ##dG = -SdT + V dP +\sum\mu_idN_i## or ##\Delta G = -S\Delta T## as you found for your isobaric scenario.

Is it possible you are supposed to solve this problem using thermodynamic tables? Otherwise, what is your relationship for ##\Delta S## at constant pressure?

Likes BvU
Chestermiller said:
Is it possible you are supposed to solve this problem using thermodynamic tables? Otherwise, what is your relationship for ##\Delta S## at constant pressure?

If what is meant by thermodynamic tables is given values for quantities like entropy then yes, I was. I guess most of my confusion came from not knowing where to start, given the table of values.

WWCY said:
If what is meant by thermodynamic tables is given values for quantities like entropy then yes, I was. I guess most of my confusion came from not knowing where to start, given the table of values.
Does your (compressed water) table give values for P, T, v, u, h, and s?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how heat moves from one object to another.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as heat. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a system approaches a constant minimum.

What are common mistakes made when studying thermodynamics?

Some common mistakes in studying thermodynamics include not considering all forms of energy in a system, not accounting for energy lost as heat, and not properly applying the laws of thermodynamics in calculations.

What is an example of a mistake in thermodynamics?

An example of a mistake in thermodynamics could be assuming that all forms of energy in a system are constant, when in reality there may be changes in temperature, pressure, or other variables that affect the energy balance.

How can mistakes in thermodynamics be avoided?

Mistakes in thermodynamics can be avoided by carefully considering all forms of energy in a system, using the laws of thermodynamics correctly, and double-checking calculations for accuracy. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and principles of thermodynamics to avoid common errors.