1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics First Law Problem

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a rock having a mass of 5 kg and a bucket containing 50 kg of liquid water. Initially, the stone is 20 m above the water, and the stone and the water are at the same temperature, T1 (state 1). The stone then falls into the water.
    For the system stone + water, determine ΔU, ΔKE, ΔPE, Q and W for the following changes of state: 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4, with:
    (a) State 2: the stone is just about the enter the water;
    (b) State 3: the stone has just come to rest in the bucket;
    (c) State 4: heat has been transferred to the surroundings in such an amount that the stone and water are at the same temperature T1 (temperature of state 1).

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE = Q - W (First Law)
    ΔE = ΔE(mechanical) + ΔU
    ΔE(mechanical) = ΔKE (kinetic energy) + ΔPE (potential energy)

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I am messing up when establishing my system... For example, when trying to calculate the kinetic energy of the system, it should be zero since the entire rock + water are one system and the entire system is not moving. However, the rock has kinetic energy from state 1 to state 2, so should I take that into account? Same with potential energy.

I also have no idea how to calculate Q and W other than using ΔE = Q - W. Is there another way?

Tips are appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2
    My main issue is deciding what is Q and what is W. Do I include the work done by the rock in the overall work done by the system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted