1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics : Heat transfer question.

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid body X of heat capacity C is kept in an atmosphere whose temperature is 300K. At t=0 temperature of X is 400K. It cools according to Newton's Law of cooling.
    At time t1 its temperature is found to be 350 K .
    At this time,the body X is connected to a large box Y at atmospheric temperature through a conducting rod of length L, cross sectional area A and thermal conductivity K.
    The heat capacity of Y is so large that any vibration in its temperature rod is small compared to the surface area of X.
    Find temperature of X at time t=3t1

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's law of cooling : dT/dt = -(4eσAT°3)ΔT/ms

On integrating to calculate the time it takes for the body to reach a temperature T2 from T1:
    t=(ms/4eσAT°3) ln ((T1 - T°)/ (T2 - T°))

H = KA/L dT

3. The attempt at a solution

Now first, the box reaches the temperature of T=350K in t1 time

So, ti = (ms/4eσA°*3003) ln ((400 - 300)/ (350 - 300))
    = (ms/4eσA°*3003) ln 2

Now after this, a rod is connected to it, at this point I don't know if I have to consider only heat transfer through the rod, or also by radiation into the atmosphere.

Also, how do I proceed in either case?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    Newton's law of cooling : dT/dt = -(4eσAT°3)ΔT/ms

Please define your symbols.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook