1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics- How much Ice is melted?

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    0.175 kg of water at 88.0 degC is poured into an insulated cup containing 0.212 kg of ice initially at 0 degC. How many kg of liquid will there be when the system reaches thermal equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations
    Cwater= 4187 J/kg degC
    Cice=2090 J/kg degC [not sure on this one, had to look it up]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, I know how to get the final temperature of the solution:
    What I'm not sure of is how much of the ice this melts into water... I considered putting the temperature back into the equilibrium equation and solving for how much mass it must take, but I'm very confused as to how to denote the change in mass, considering the fact that the final masses of both the ice and the water are unknown.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi seichan,

You do use [itex]q=m c (\Delta T)[/itex] for the heat flow in or out required to change the temperature of a mass m of a substance. However, here the ice is initially at zero degrees celsius. As the heat initially begins flowing into the ice, it begins melting, but it's temperature does not change until it completely melts. How is heat flow related to the mass of ice that has melted?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?