Thermodynamics-Net heat absorbed?

• Thread starter Urth
  • Start date
Can someone define what net heat absorbed is. I'm taking physics 1 right now, and am not sure exactly what it is. We just learned the first law of thermodynamics, and one of the questions on the homework is asking us to find the net heat absorbed in an isometric process. I just have no idea what that means...is it just like what Q is, since W=0? I just used the equations for Q, being nCvdeltaT, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

OlderDan
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Can someone define what net heat absorbed is. I'm taking physics 1 right now, and am not sure exactly what it is. We just learned the first law of thermodynamics, and one of the questions on the homework is asking us to find the net heat absorbed in an isometric process. I just have no idea what that means...is it just like what Q is, since W=0? I just used the equations for Q, being nCvdeltaT, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
It is Q. Heat is the name given to energy transfer to or from an object when it is in contact with something else at a different temperature. You can make an object warmer (raise its temperature and internal energy) by adding heat, or by doing work.