1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Pressure Problem Help

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ice cap on the North Pole could be 1000 m thick with a density of 920 kg/m3. Find the pressure at the bottom and the corresponding melting temperature.

2. Relevant equations

Steam tables
    ΔP = ρgH

3. The attempt at a solution

ΔP = (920 kg/m3)*(9.28 m/s2)*(1000) = 9022 kPa
    P = Pinitial + 9022 kPa

I have no idea how to find initial pressure, which I think is my main information missing, then from there I would need to find the corresponding temperature.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

The initial pressure is the pressure at the top of the ice cap ... which is the pressure pretty much anywhere on the surface of Earth. :wink:

EDIT added:
    You're a tad slow today, SteamKing! :smile:

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's on top of the polar ice cap? That's how you find the initial pressure.

Hint: it blows past you in the breeze.

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4
    Alright, so the pressure at the surface is 1 atm = 101.325 kPa, which gives me:

P = Po + ΔP = 101.325 + 9022 = 9123 kPa

From here, finding temperature would be found by maybe a P-T chart, where the substance goes from solid -> liquid? Around 275 K is what I get.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good.
    Yes, that should work.
    That's not a terrible approximation, though it is possible they are looking for a more accurate value. I'm not saying they are, just saying it's a possibility.

For a more accurate value, think about how does the 9000 kPa temperature on the chart compare to the temperature at 101 kPa?

p.s to SteamKing: I think this is getting more into your territory than mine. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook