Thermodynamics pressure-temperature-volume problems

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial temperature Ti of a gas that experiences a reduction in volume and increase in pressure when heated by a certain amount. The second problem involves finding the specific heat c3 of lead in an equilibrium between a calorimeter and heated water. The solution involves using the equations PV=nRT and Q = mCe(T-T1) to find the appropriate values and solve for the specific heat.
Termodinamica

Homework Statement

When the volume of a gas is reduced with fp% and the gas is heaten with ΔT K, the pressure of it grows with fp%.Find initial temperature Ti.
Application: fv%= 20%; ΔT 12 K; fp% = 30%

2.A aluminium calorimeter with the mass m1 contains the mass m2 of water heated at T1.In the water from calorimeter is inserted a body of lead(Pb) at mass m3 at the temperature of T3 (>T1).The termic equilibrum is set at the temperature T.We have the specific heats c1 and c2 of the aluminium and of the water.Find the specific heat c3 of the lead.
Application: m1 = 41,6 g; m2 = 0,232 kg; T1= 288 K; m3 = 0,1 kg; T3 = 373 K; T =289K; c1 = 920 J/(kg * K); c2 = 4180 J/(kg * K).

Homework Equations

At 1 the T1 = 300k and at 2 c3 = 120 J(kg *K)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equilibrium of temperature between the calorimeter and lead, you have that the heat given by the lead when reducing its temperature, is the same heat that the water and the aluminum calorimeter receive to increase its initial temperature until the equilibrium temperature.
in formulas

[tex] Q = m_{3}Ce_{Pb} (T_{3}-T) = m_{1}Ce_{H2O} (T_{1}-T) + m_{2}Ce_{Al} (T_{1}-T) [/tex]
from the last equality, clear and calculate [tex] Ce_ {Pb} [/tex]

The first problem is solved very easily with ##P_1 V_1=n_1 RT_1 ## , and writing ##PV=nRT ## again with the conditions that are applied.

Richard R Richard said:
In the equilibrium of temperature between the calorimeter and lead, you have that the heat given by the lead when reducing its temperature, is the same heat that the water and the aluminum calorimeter receive to increase its initial temperature until the equilibrium temperature.
in formulas

[tex] Q = m_{3}Ce_{Pb} (T_{3}-T) = m_{1}Ce_{H2O} (T_{1}-T) + m_{2}Ce_{Al} (T_{1}-T) [/tex]
from the last equality, clear and calculate [tex] Ce_ {Pb} [/tex]
I think on the right side you need ##T-T_1 ##. Otherwise, very good.
Meanwhile, this is a very old homework. (9 years old). I don't think the OP is needing a response anymore.

Last edited:
Likes Richard R Richard
Hello, I am new to the forum, the problem is easy and I answered.
you are right about reversing signs on the right side.
I had started from
[tex]\displaystyle{\sum Q_i=\sum m_iCe_i(T_i-T)=0}[/tex]
conservation law...
but copy and paste, forget to reverse the signs , sorry, thank you.

Richard R Richard said:
Hello, I am new to the forum, the problem is easy and I answered.
Keep in mind that it was okay for you to answer this homework question because it is 9 years old. In general, we do not provide answers to homework questions, especially those where the OP showed little effort.

We give hints, ask questions, find mistakes, etc. But we don't do a student's homework for them here. Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:

Likes Richard R Richard and Charles Link

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in thermodynamics pressure-temperature-volume problems?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. In thermodynamics pressure-temperature-volume problems, the ideal gas law is used to calculate one of these variables when the others are known. This law assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, making it ideal for theoretical calculations.

2. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a gas, including atmospheric pressure. It is measured relative to a perfect vacuum, which is considered to have zero pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. This means that gauge pressure can be either positive or negative, depending on whether it is greater or less than atmospheric pressure.

3. How does temperature affect the pressure of a gas?

According to Charles's law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at constant pressure. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, resulting in an increase in pressure. This relationship is described by the formula P1/T1 = P2/T2, where P1 and T1 are the initial pressure and temperature, and P2 and T2 are the final pressure and temperature.

4. Can pressure-temperature-volume problems be solved using any gas or are there specific conditions that must be met?

Pressure-temperature-volume problems can be solved using any gas, as long as the gas behaves ideally. This means that the gas particles do not interact with each other and have negligible volume compared to the total volume of the gas. In real-world scenarios, this is only true for low pressures and high temperatures.

5. How can the gas laws be applied to real-world situations?

The gas laws, including the ideal gas law, can be applied to real-world situations in a variety of ways. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a gas at a certain pressure and temperature, or to determine the pressure needed to compress a gas to a certain volume. They are also used in the design of various systems, such as refrigeration systems and gas cylinders, to ensure that they can withstand the pressure and temperature changes that occur during operation.