1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Question - Entropy etc

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've attached a J-peg with the question in, laid out much more clearly than I could expect to type it here. I hope the attachment is ok.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have:

(1) dS = dQ / T
    Entropy is a measure of a system's disorder.

(2) I've drawn a flow diagram but can't get a picture of that on here. Suffice to say I have tried to do this part quite hard but can't get it to work.

(3)

(a) dS = dQ /T ... dQ = 3/2 N K dT ... so dS = 3/2 N K dT/T. Then I can work out the integral and do this first part for temperature going from 293 to 273? Does mass not matter here?

(b) dS = dQ/T ... We know Q from the question as 333kJ/kg so S = Q/T goes to S = 333 * 1 kilogram of water / 273 Kelvin. Is this right?

(c) I have no idea how to do this.

The entropy change of the universe will increase during this process, as it will do for all processes above 0 Kelvin.

(4) Coefficient of Performance = Qh / Work = Qh / Qh - Qc ... this can then be written as Th / Th - Tc = 323K / 323K - 273K = 6.46.

To improve the coefficient of performance of the ice-maker you could decrease the temperature of the hot reservoir???? This doesn't seem to make sense...

If anyone has the time to look at this and help me I would very much appreciate it as I have lost all my second year notes on thermodynamics and can't see how to do this question properly.

DoubleB

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2
    Can anyone help me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?