Thermodynamics state equations

In summary: E)##?From this equation, if S is constant, what is ##(\partial T/\partial...E)##?It is the rate of change of entropy with respect to temperature.
Cathr

Homework Statement

I am always confused about how to correctly write the functions U, H, F, G when they're not depending on the usual variables p, V, T, S - same question for Q and W.

For example, we have to calculate the temperature variation of a small surface of water when we isentropically change the surface. The variables are A=a-bT (superficial tension constant), T (temperature) and E (surface). It is given that the elemeptary work dW=AdE.

Homework Equations

dU=TdS+AdE (why don't we add -pdV too? sometimes we do)
dF=-SdT+AdE
dH=TdS-EdA
dG=-SdT-EdA

The Attempt at a Solution

Now we know that, to solve this, we must find the right state function between the 4.
I am really confused about the EdA and AdE part. How to know how to write these equations correctly, without doubting if I'm right?

This is just an example, but this is the kind of problem I have for more cases. If there is a generalised way of reasoning to understand them all?

For the classic 4 variables there is the mnemotic scheme of Born so there's no problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cathr said:

Homework Statement

I am always confused about how to correctly write the functions U, H, F, G when they're not depending on the usual variables p, V, T, S - same question for Q and W.

For example, we have to calculate the temperature variation of a small surface of water when we isentropically change the surface. The variables are A=a-bT (superficial tension constant), T (temperature) and E (surface). It is given that the elemeptary work dW=AdE.

Homework Equations

dU=TdS+AdE (why don't we add -pdV too? sometimes we do)
dF=-SdT+AdE
dH=TdS-EdA
dG=-SdT-EdA

The Attempt at a Solution

Now we know that, to solve this, we must find the right state function between the 4.
I am really confused about the EdA and AdE part. How to know how to write these equations correctly, without doubting if I'm right?

This is just an example, but this is the kind of problem I have for more cases. If there is a generalised way of reasoning to understand them all?

For the classic 4 variables there is the mnemotic scheme of Born so there's no problem.
This is exactly the same kind of problem you have already been doing on gases with volume changes, except here you are dealing with a liquid surface, with area changes. So, in this development A takes the place of P and E takes the place of V. The only difference is that A is a tensile force per unit length, and P is a compressive force per unit area; so there is a sign difference. Instead of -PdV being the work done by the surroundings on the system, you have AdE. Once you have this and dU=TdS+AdE, what do you get for dF=dU-d(TS), dH=dU-d(AE), and dG=dF-d(AE)?

Now, if S(T,E) is the entropy as a function of temperature T and area E, using the mathematical rules for partial differentiation, what is dS in terms of dT and dE?

To be continued.

Chestermiller said:
This is exactly the same kind of problem you have already been doing on gases with volume changes, except here you are dealing with a liquid surface, with area changes. So, in this development A takes the place of P and E takes the place of V. The only difference is that A is a tensile force per unit length, and P is a compressive force per unit area; so there is a sign difference. Instead of -PdV being the work done by the surroundings on the system, you have AdE. Once you have this and dU=TdS+AdE, what do you get for dF=dU-d(TS), dH=dU-d(AE), and dG=dF-d(AE)?

Now, if S(T,E) is the entropy as a function of temperature T and area E, using the mathematical rules for partial differentiation, what is dS in terms of dT and dE?

To be continued.
I see, but why is it dU=TdS+AdE and not -AdE, like in -pdV? For dF, dH, dG I get the right answers, thank you!

I think dS(T, E)=(dS/dT)dT+(dS/dE)dE.

Cathr said:
I see, but why is it dU=TdS+AdE and not -AdE, like in -pdV? For dF, dH, dG I get the right answers, thank you!
Because P is compressive and A is tensile. So they have opposite signs in the equations.
I think dS(T, E)=(dS/dT)dT+(dS/dE)dE.
Yes. This is correct. More precisely, $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_EdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}\right)_TdE$$From this equation, if S is constant, what is ##(\partial T/\partial E)_S##?

Chestermiller said:
Because P is compressive and A is tensile. So they have opposite signs in the equations.

Yes. This is correct. More precisely, $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_EdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}\right)_TdE$$From this equation, if S is constant, what is ##(\partial T/\partial E)_S##?

Then dS is zero, so I guess it would be the same to write partial derivatives as dT/dE, but I guess you were looking for another answer. I don't really know.

Cathr said:
Then dS is zero, so I guess it would be the same to write partial derivatives as dT/dE, but I guess you were looking for another answer. I don't really know.
Set dS equal to zero in the equation and solve for dT/dE.

1. What is a thermodynamic state equation?

A thermodynamic state equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system. It relates the state variables of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, to each other.

2. What are the most commonly used thermodynamic state equations?

The most commonly used thermodynamic state equations are the ideal gas law, van der Waals equation, and the Peng-Robinson equation.

3. How do thermodynamic state equations relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamic state equations are derived from the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. They provide a mathematical representation of these laws and help us understand and predict the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

4. Can thermodynamic state equations be applied to all types of systems?

No, thermodynamic state equations are only applicable to systems that behave like ideal gases. These systems must have particles that are far apart and do not interact with each other, and the particles must have negligible volume compared to the volume of the system.

5. How are thermodynamic state equations used in practical applications?

Thermodynamic state equations are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and chemical processes. They help engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of these systems, allowing for more efficient and effective designs.