1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics with styrofoam cooler

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cubical styrofoam cooler 80cm on a side and 2.0 cm thick contains 2.0kg of ice at 0C. If it takes four hours for the ice to melt what is the outside temperature? K(st)=.02 w/m*K

2. Relevant equations
    H=-KA (ΔT/ΔX)
    (conductive heat flow)

3. The attempt at a solution

Area: 6(a)^2= 6(.8)^2= 3.8m^2
    Δx=.02m
    K(st)=.02 w/m*K

H=-.02 w/m*K(3.8m^2) (ΔT/.02m)

So I used the formula for the conductive heat flow, but I still have two unknowns. I know H is ΔQ/Δt, but I am asked for the time. I had two questions in regards to this problem:
    1. for the area do I find the total surface area or just one side?
    2. what temperature change ΔT should I set the ΔQ formula if I am assuming the ice is melting?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, what do the symbols in the formula for the conductive heat flow mean?
    Can you derive that formula?

ehild

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    ehild, thank you for your reply and I apologize for this far too late of response. I figured out the answer to this problem after grinding the problem for a while. I am done with my final for the first part of physics! I can not wait for the second part in a week :) Thanks again and talk to you soon.

physikx

5. Feb 17, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Congratulation!:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook