Thermondynamics: Ideal Rubber Band

In summary, the rubber band has a length of L, a statistical weight of Ω(S(R)), and an entropy of S(R).
alfredbester
Set-up: Rubber band modeled as an Ideal chain (polymer) with Nr (links) monomers pointing right, and Nl monomers pointing left each of length l.
Find expressions for the length of the band, its statistical weight (iI think that means the multiplicity?) and its entropy, in terms of Nr and Nl.
The length L is just, L = (Nr + Nl)l
Statistical Weight Ω(S(R))
Entropy is given by S(R) = k.ln (Ω(S(R)))
where R is a vector representing the net displacement of the ends.
I'm not sure how to get the statistical weight. I know the general formula is
Ω(N, a) = (a + N -1) / a!(N-1)!, is a = l in my case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to figure out how many different values of Nr and Nl give each R. For example, if Nr=N and Nl=0 (ie, all the links are pointing right), then the net displacement is Nl. But this is the only way to get a displacement of Nl, so it has a degeneracy (multiplicity) of 1, and so an entropy of 0. The formula you mentioned at the end is close to the one you'll need. Look up the binomial distribution.

Had a look at it, and this is the best I could come up with.

Ω(Nr - Nl, N) = N! / (Nr!.Nl!),
using stirling's approximation I got this to be

Ω(Nr - Nl, N) = 2^N. exp(-(Nr - Nl)^2 / 2N)

Got that wrong, is it?

Ω(N, Nr) + Ω(N, Nl) = 2N! / {(0.5N + Nr)!(0.5N + Nl)!}

Your first equation looks right. Stirling's approximation, as I learned it, is ln(n!) = n ln(n) - n, which would mean n! = (n/e)^n (those should both be approximately equals signs). This can be used to get an estimate for the number of states and the entropy. Your second equation may be correct, but I'm not familiar with whichever form of stirlings approximation you used (there are a few of them). The equation in your most recent post doesn't really make sense to me.

Last edited:
Greetings! I know this is an old thread but...

I would like to know how to get from

Ω(Nr - Nl, N) = N! / (Nr!.Nl!)

to

Ω(Nr - Nl, N) = 2^N. exp(-(Nr - Nl)^2 / 2N)

using Sterling's approximation or otherwise. I have been running into this wall:

S=k ln Ω(Nr - Nl, N) => S = k (N ln (N/(N-Nr)) + R ln ((N-Nr)/R))
after Sterling's approximation and subbing Nl=N-Nr.

This yields a (partials) dS/dNr = k ln ((N-Nr)/Nr).

I understand that f = -T (dNr/dL) (dS/dNr). Where the length, L = 2Nr - N.

So I expect dS/dNr to yield L under proper conditions. I don't see that happening, though. Where'd I go wrong? (Aside from choosing Physics...)

(Emoticons?!? How 'bout greek letters instead?)

Nevermind. I got it. It requires a more complete version of Sterling's Approximation:

N!= (N^N)*(e^-N)*sqrt(2*pi*N) <--- where this last square root term contains the L dependence (eventually).

Later.

1. What is thermondynamics?

Thermondynamics is the study of the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed within a system.

2. What is an ideal rubber band?

An ideal rubber band is a theoretical rubber band that is perfectly elastic, meaning it can fully return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed without losing any energy.

3. How does thermondynamics apply to an ideal rubber band?

The study of thermondynamics can be applied to an ideal rubber band by looking at the relationship between the band's temperature and its elasticity. As the band is stretched or compressed, its temperature changes, and thermondynamics helps us understand how this affects the band's energy and work.

4. What is the significance of an ideal rubber band in thermondynamics?

An ideal rubber band serves as a simple and useful example to understand the principles of thermondynamics. It allows us to study the relationships between temperature, energy, and work in a controlled and predictable manner.

5. How can the concept of an ideal rubber band be applied in real-life situations?

The study of an ideal rubber band can be applied in various fields, such as material science, engineering, and even in everyday life. It helps in understanding the behavior of elastic materials and can be used in the design of products that require stretchable components, such as rubber bands, bungee cords, and springs.