Thermodynamics - heat flow of a rubber band

In summary, the question is asking to find the heat flow between a rubber band and its surroundings when it is stretched reversibly and isothermically from one length to another. The equation for heat flow is dE = TdS + fdL + \mu dN. The heat flow is calculated using a Maxwell relation and the integral is found using the conjugate variable.
mooshasta

Homework Statement

Consider a rubber band for which the tension, [itex]f[/itex], as a function of temperature [itex]T[/itex] and length [itex]L[/itex] is [itex]f = \kappa T (L+\gamma L^2)[/itex], where [itex]\kappa[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are positive constants. Determine the heat flow between it and its surroundings when the rubber band is stretched reversibly and isothermically from length [itex]L_1[/itex] to length [itex]L_2[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]dE = TdS + fdL + \mu dN[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the question is asking to find [itex]\left( \frac{\partial E}{\partial L} \right)_{T,N}[/itex] and integrate that. I'm not sure how to get this quantity, though, since I don't know what entropy is. Can I use the Helmholtz free energy when calculating heat transfer? I don't think so, since they are not equal...

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not [itex]\left(\frac{\partial E}{\partial L}\right)_{T,N}[/itex], since some of the energy change dE comes from strain energy, and you wouldn't include that in the heat flow. So you only want to integrate part of dE; which part is it? (Take a look at your equation.)

(Then I expect you'll get into the fun world of Maxwell relations.)

As I understand it, then, the heat flow should be [itex]\int TdS[/itex], since this is the heat part of the equation. So then should I be integrating:

[tex]T\int^{L_2}_{L_1} \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L}} \right)_{T,N} dL[/tex]

Using a Maxwell relation as you said, I see that [itex]-\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{N,T} = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial T} \right)_{N,L}[/itex], and then the integral is straightforward.

I am just unsure if that integral above is correct, and if it is, what is the basis on getting that from [itex]\int TdS[/itex] in this context.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

Looks good to me!

I still am a little confused how to get to that integral. If S is a function of E, L, and N, doesn't that mean then that:

[tex]\left( dS \right)_{T,N} = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial E} \right)_{L,N} dE + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{E,N} dL[/tex]

But instead I wrote [itex]\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{T,N} dL[/itex]. How does this match with the above equation?

Thanks again. I'm probably missing something pretty fundamental :)

Let's drop N, since it's constant here. S is a function of two independent variables. We could write

[tex]dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}\right)_LdE+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial L}\right)_EdL[/tex]

or

[tex]dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_LdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial L}\right)_TdL[/tex]

The first isn't of much use; the second simplifies into the integrand above. Does this make sense?

I think I get it now, thank you. I didn't realize that one of the independent variables could be the conjugate (T).

Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between temperature and the length of a rubber band?

As the temperature of a rubber band increases, its length will also increase. This is due to the fact that heat causes the rubber molecules to become more active and expand, causing the rubber band to stretch.

2. How does the heat flow of a rubber band affect its elasticity?

The heat flow of a rubber band can affect its elasticity by altering the strength of the bonds between the rubber molecules. As heat is added, the bonds become weaker and the rubber band becomes less elastic.

3. Can a rubber band be stretched indefinitely with the addition of heat?

No, a rubber band cannot be stretched indefinitely with the addition of heat. There is a limit to how much a rubber band can stretch, and once it reaches that limit, it will break.

4. How does the heat flow of a rubber band compare to other materials?

The heat flow of a rubber band is relatively low compared to other materials, meaning it does not conduct heat as well. This is due to the fact that rubber is a poor conductor of heat.

5. How does the heat flow of a rubber band change with different environmental conditions?

The heat flow of a rubber band can be affected by environmental conditions such as humidity and air temperature. Higher humidity can cause a rubber band to absorb more water and become more elastic, while lower temperatures can cause it to become more rigid and less stretchy.