1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamics - heat flow of a rubber band

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a rubber band for which the tension, [itex]f[/itex], as a function of temperature [itex]T[/itex] and length [itex]L[/itex] is [itex]f = \kappa T (L+\gamma L^2)[/itex], where [itex]\kappa[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are positive constants. Determine the heat flow between it and its surroundings when the rubber band is stretched reversibly and isothermically from length [itex]L_1[/itex] to length [itex]L_2[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]dE = TdS + fdL + \mu dN[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the question is asking to find [itex]\left( \frac{\partial E}{\partial L} \right)_{T,N}[/itex] and integrate that. I'm not sure how to get this quantity, though, since I don't know what entropy is. Can I use the Helmholtz free energy when calculating heat transfer? I don't think so, since they are not equal...

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not [itex]\left(\frac{\partial E}{\partial L}\right)_{T,N}[/itex], since some of the energy change dE comes from strain energy, and you wouldn't include that in the heat flow. So you only want to integrate part of dE; which part is it? (Take a look at your equation.)

(Then I expect you'll get into the fun world of Maxwell relations.)

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    As I understand it, then, the heat flow should be [itex]\int TdS[/itex], since this is the heat part of the equation. So then should I be integrating:

[tex]T\int^{L_2}_{L_1} \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L}} \right)_{T,N} dL[/tex]

Using a Maxwell relation as you said, I see that [itex]-\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{N,T} = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial T} \right)_{N,L}[/itex], and then the integral is straightforward.

I am just unsure if that integral above is correct, and if it is, what is the basis on getting that from [itex]\int TdS[/itex] in this context.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me!

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5
    I still am a little confused how to get to that integral. If S is a function of E, L, and N, doesn't that mean then that:

[tex]\left( dS \right)_{T,N} = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial E} \right)_{L,N} dE + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{E,N} dL[/tex]

But instead I wrote [itex]\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial L} \right)_{T,N} dL[/itex]. How does this match with the above equation?

Thanks again. I'm probably missing something pretty fundamental :)

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's drop N, since it's constant here. S is a function of two independent variables. We could write

[tex]dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}\right)_LdE+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial L}\right)_EdL[/tex]

or

[tex]dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_LdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial L}\right)_TdL[/tex]

The first isn't of much use; the second simplifies into the integrand above. Does this make sense?

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    I think I get it now, thank you. I didn't realize that one of the independent variables could be the conjugate (T).

Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook