Thickness & Distance of Milky Way at Sun's Location

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lifeonmercury
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Milky way Thickness
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
lifeonmercury
Messages
137
Reaction score
26
What is the thickness of the Milky Way at the sun's location, and how far is the sun toward the top/bottom?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
According to Wiki, the thickness of the disk is about 2000 ly.
 
From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#Sun.E2.80.99s_location_and_neighborhood
The Sun is near the inner rim of the Orion Arm, within the Local Fluff of the Local Bubble, and in the Gould Belt, at a distance of 8.33 ± 0.35 kiloparsecs (27,200 ± 1,100 ly) from the Galactic Center.[14][88][139] The Sun is currently 5–30 parsecs (16–98 ly) from the central plane of the Galactic disk.

I don't see a number given for the thickness of the milky way at our position, but I'm sure a google search will turn it up.
 
I saw that on Wikipedia too, but I assumed that the 2,000ly figure is the Milky Way's average thickness, and not the thickness of the galaxy at our specific location.

Thanks for the information about the sun being 16-98ly from the galactic plane. It doesn't specify above or below, however.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the thickness information using Google.