1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin Film Interference (Interferometer)

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One of the beams of an interferometer passes through a small glass container containing a cavity 1.30 cm deep. When a gas is allowed to slowly fill thr container, a total of 236 dark fringes are counted to move past a reference line. The light used has a wavelength of 610 nm. Calculate the index of refraction of the gas, assuming the interferometer is in a vacuum

2. Relevant equations
    extra distance = m*lambda/n = twice the depth

d=vt ??

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first dark spot occurs when the extra distance is half the new lambda. This means the 236th dark spot occurs when m = 235.5 I attempted to solve for n by equating this to twice the depth, but got something way lower than 1. I must be missing something big. Does the glass container outside play a role?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'new' lambda. The wavelength does not change, only the phase, surely ? If the lines are displaced by 236*lambda/2 then the final phase change must equal this. Though, I must admit it seems a large value for 1.3 cm of gas.
  4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    As a beam of light moves into a material of higher index of refraction, its speed slows down to c/n and its wavelength shortens to lambda/n. Frequency is held constant
  5. Mar 22, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Thank you, I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

I think the extra distance you're after is 1.3(n-1) which I got by working out how much longer it takes to get through and multiplying by c.
  6. Mar 22, 2007 #5
    I dont follow, can you explain how you determined the time?
  7. Mar 22, 2007 #6

Gold Member

I get n = 1.001537. Could be Carbon disulphide or Ethyl ether

But I could also be wrong.

[I've just seen your post]

t1 = 1.30/c
    t2= 1.30/(c/n)

t2-t1 = 1.3n/c - 1.3/c

(t2-t1)*c = 1.3(n-1)
  8. Mar 22, 2007 #7
    Ok, that makes sense. But I used 1.3(n-1)=235.5(lambda)/n and got a quadratic with a root at 1.01093 Thanks for the help
  9. Mar 22, 2007 #8

Gold Member

Well, I think the interference is at the unslowed wavelength, so your 1/n factor on the right isn't needed. Also, your value is much higher than any real gas ( that I know of).

Glad to be be of some help.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?